Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Attic helmet
Dear friends
Is it there someone who can tell us a little more about this Hellenic type of helmet!
Where this artifact has been found and what is its history?
Thank you in advance

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lucius Campanius Verecundus Signifer Legio quarta Scythica
A.K.A. Yordan Kolchev
Good morning,
if you have familiarity with French I can recommend to look the new edition of the book: Casques Antiques - Les Visages De La Guerre, De Mycènes À La Fin De L'empire Romain of Michel Feugère.
It is very precise and synthetic and you will certainly find references for the attic helmet
[attachment=3169]9782877724487.jpg[/attachment]

Best

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Quote:Is there someone who can tell us a little more about this Hellenic type of helmet...?

Hi Lucius

Your helmet looks very Macedonian. I'm sure I've seen something like this as the model for phalangite helmets of about the time of the Battle of Pydna. The flange has the folded cloth look of a Boeotian helmet. The molded or beaten decoration of a triangle, peaking over the brow and "scrolling to stylized volutes at either side[1]" of the head has always fascinated me.

[1] Not my words and can't find source immediately.

I note a similar-looking helmet at http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/LX/HelmetC...useum.html.

Cheers

Howard/SPC
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
It looks like a helmet that was found in Melos, Greece dated to the 4th century BC.

I believe it's now in the Louvre.

~Theo
Jaime
This helmet is said to be found in Athens and is now in Madrid, Archaeological Museum.
The only written report about it is:

J.M. Blazquez, in: Zephyrus 8, 1957, 154ff.

Greets
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attic Helmet found? Celtic505 1 898 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Last Post: jho
  Authenticity Attic Helmet in Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, Hamburg LorenzoTergestino 10 2,207 04-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Use of the Attic Helmet Hugh Fuller 57 19,053 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs