Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bizarre secondhand book prices revisited
Just as you thought Skynet was becoming a reality with battling drones and Britain and France cooperating(!) on unmanned fighter aircraft, we read more detail on how the bots on Amazon bump up the prices of books, non-books, and secondhand non-books. You couldn't make this stuff up... :roll:

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
That's not the worst one.

My own book, 'Belisarius', is available in two formats on amazon.com. As I type this, the 'British' format, from Pen and Sword, is available new from $28.42, used from $28.44.

The 'US' format, from Westholme Publishing, is obviously still in print. It's available new from $999.99, used from $199.08. 4 sellers are asking $3,999.00 for a new copy!

If only somebody would buy one: think of the royalties!! Cool
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
I guess selling one of those 'non-written' books would be far more profitable.. Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I guess selling one of those 'non-written' books would be far more profitable.. Confusedhock:

I just don't understand how it would work: surely the buyer can simply claim their money back? So what's the point of it all??
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
Quote:If only somebody would buy one: think of the royalties!! Cool
Colour me sceptical, but I bet you would only get to see your normal cut of the cover price (since that, minus the discount, is what the publisher/wholesaler will have sold it to the retailer for). Writers never win at this game :???:

Mike Bishop

Quote:Writers never win at this game :???:

Mike Bishop

Good point, well made. Confusedad: No retirement yet.

Oh well, back to the drawing board ...
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Quote:Oh well, back to the drawing board ...
Sadly, that doesn't pay well either. Best bet is probably to move to Nottinghamshire and start buying Eurogazillions tickets... ;-)

Mike Bishop

Quote:
sonic post=307765 Wrote:Oh well, back to the drawing board ...
Sadly, that doesn't pay well either. Best bet is probably to move to Nottinghamshire and start buying Eurogazillions tickets... ;-)

Mike Bishop

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bizarre (ancient) weapons MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 6 1,634 12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS