Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic H cheekguard inspiration?
I have a Gallic H helm and never thought too much about its construction, especially since the original was found in such poor condition: http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,96/ (hardly worth having a reconstruction made after it, let alone being designated its own type). While I assumed the cheekguards were just a made up idea of Deepeeka that were based on the Gallic G, since this helmet is essentially a Gallic G with a more sloped neckguard.

However I recently came across Robinson's reconstruction of the Gallic H
[attachment=3115]downsized_0223020301.jpg[/attachment]
Which is about a mirror image of Deepeeka's model. I know Robinson strived to make authentic reconstructions, however is there a reason the Gallic H has noticeably different cheekguards than the Gallic G?

Robinson went as far to give the Italic H (brass) the same cheekguards as the iron version. So my question is, what is the inspiration for the Gallic H cheekguards? Did Robinson completely make them up or is there evidence of this style?

Perhaps I'm just thinking too deep into it...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Your guess is as good as anyone else's. I personally don't think they fit stylistically.
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
The cheek piece does not exactly fit any specimen I know of. Interestingly his catalogue of cheeck piece types does not appear to list a cheek piece specifically for this helmet type.

The reconstructed cheek piece appears to be a derivative of the Gallic G in Worms. Robinson states that the reconstruction is based (in part) on the fragments from Colchester but the placement of the lower rivet does not fit the placement of the rivet on the surviving fragments. I am not sure whether the fragments from Colchester would have allowed Robinson to draw conclusions on the dimensions of the cheek piece but one may speculate that he started with the Worms Gallic G and adapted the outline in accordance with his information on the Colchester fragments.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Would you happen to have a picture of the Colchester fragments Jens or anyone else?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
A picture is in the helmet database, look for Imperial Gallic IGG 04 (Colchester).

Robinson's book includes drawings of some fragments on page 48. If you do not have access to it, PM me you email address and I can send you a copy of the page.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany