Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My pugio
Caiusbeer wrote
Quote:Of course. What made you think I thought the opposite?

Matthew, I do not see much sense in having such an item for reenactment.

Probably just a misinterpretation, as I was tired last night.

Caiusbeer worte
Quote:Depends on what you judge to be quality. Some people assume that high price equals quality. Must not necessarily be the case, though. Some really expensive items that are available from some craftsmen or vendors e.g. are very based on bad research or no research or on conjecture. This is not bad if there are no originals extant, but very bad if some are.

Very true, I couldn't agree more. And some just charge higher and higher prices, because they think people will pay the price. Double standards do no one any favours.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wow! Want too! Big want. Awesome.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
That is a beautiful piece Christian. Luc's work is outstanding. Confusedhock:
Absolutely beautifull.

I imagine the price would also reflect the value of that.
I do not expect however that something of that quality would have generally been available back then either, you would certainly have had to pay through the nose for it!

The Swastika will allways be a contentious issue in Germany, also elsewhere in europe.
I personally would avoid carrying that also, never mind the historical correctness. The hassle would be too much for me.....I have enough trouble as it is having been stopped once by the customs people on the Autobahn and being questioned on my knowledge of the "Kriegswaffengesetz" (Military weapons laws). A Swastika on my Pugio would probably have landed me in solitary. Luckily as everything was blunt and I carry knobs of Lead to fold over the tips when the need arises I got away with it.

Actually this promts me to ask the German contingents (in a seperate thread) what the rules are here.

Cheers

Steve
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Quote:I do not expect however that something of that quality would have generally been available back then either, you would certainly have had to pay through the nose for it!
In regard of the numbers we have these preserved, I´d rather say they were not too rare.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Just to make sure, here´s the reference:
D. Horstmann, Metallkundliche Untersuchungen an Klingen von zwei römischen Dolchen, in: Ausgrabungen und Funde in Westfalen-Lippe 9, 1995.
H. Westphal, Ein römischer Prunkdolch aus Haltern Untersuchungen zur Schmiedetechnik und Konstruktion, in:
Ausgrabungen und Funde in Westfalen-Lippe 9, 1995.

[attachment=3302]Df15.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:In regard of the numbers we have these preserved, I´d rather say they were not too rare.

Like some of the girls I used to know, common, but expensive.

Still lovely Pugio Christian and a great project.
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)