Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reopening the debate on Roman invasion of Ireland
A major new study is to take place in sites all over Ireland over the next few years, not just to investigate the possibility of Roman military incursions into Ireland, but to study the impact of Rome on ancient Ireland.

study
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:Surveys are not expected to uncover the Roman’s distinctive linear roads or their large rectangular forts ...
Case closed?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Irish Times (16/2/12) Wrote:Surveys are not expected to uncover the Roman’s distinctive linear roads or their large rectangular forts ...
Case closed?

Thats because the leprechauns removed all trace of them..devious little devils, they are, and all!! :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And do not think you will find that pot filled with Denarii and Solidi....

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:A major new study is to take place in sites all over Ireland over the next few years,to study the impact of Rome on ancient Ireland.

OK, OK, I used a thread title that would catch the eye, but that was because I couldn't fit all the details of the survey into it. Idea It will still be a very interesting and unique approach (for Ireland at least) to finding out more about the influence of Rome on ancient Ireland.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
“We took on a great swathe of Roman cultural influence, including the Roman religion, and all without a Roman legion landing and telling us how to do our business.”

Sounds to me as if they have already decided there was no "invasion". Good call to get funding though...establishing the ethnic "independence " of the Irish :twisted:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:
Irish Times (16/2/12) Wrote:Surveys are not expected to uncover the Roman’s distinctive linear roads or their large rectangular forts ...
Case closed?

Well not strictly true as there is a promontory earth works fort at a place called Drummanagh north of Dublin.
Excavations have taken place there which from what I have been told yielded some (yet unpublished) Roman finds. The fortifications ar Drumanagh consist of on earth wall and a double ditch in front of it. It can be seen clearly enough on the satelite imagery on google maps and is the grassy promontary just north of the town of Rush. Nearby Lambay Island also revealed some roman style burials.
Conor Boyle

Legio XX VV (Legion ireland)
Not that old chestnut again. Drumanagh is commonly regarded as an iron age fort. It should be noted that its use by Romans, and as a beach head is highly speculative at best. The entire theory, based on some finds of coins and ingots, was never given over to any form of peer review, but released directly to the media similar to the manner that 'Alexander's tomb' was.

www.benkane.net
Quote:released directly to the media similar to the manner that 'Alexander's tomb' was.
Was Alexander's tomb located in Ireland! Wow... :wink:

Seriously though, I think it would take a lot more than 'Roman objects', 'Roman-style burials' or earthen ramparts with a double ditch to prove Roman militairy presence. 'Iron Age' is also a very broad term.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
What about the tree carved with "CEEZER WUZ HEER"
Surely that is the definitive proof?? :-P
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In Harry Sidebottom's novels there are repeated vague references to a Roman military campaign in Ireland, presumably some time in the third century.

Yes, I know this is fiction and all made up and so on, but with Sidebottom being a classics don I did wonder whether he might have a secret theory on the matter - or perhaps he was just chancing his arm... :wink:
Nathan Ross
Quote:Yes, I know this is fiction and all made up and so on, but with Sidebottom being a classics don I did wonder whether he might have a secret theory on the matter - or perhaps he was just chancing his arm...
If you look at the impact of Rosemary Sutcliff's 'Eagle of the Ninth' on British conciousness, it might be expected to see more fiction as a source of 'collective memory'... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote: If you look at the impact of Rosemary Sutcliff's 'Eagle of the Ninth' on British conciousness, it might be expected to see more fiction as a source of 'collective memory'... :wink:

...so you be careful what you write about Roman Ireland Mr Kane :wink: !!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thats great ben but any chance you could stop posting here and hurry up and finish the 2nd Spartacus book. Im going on holidays to Barleycove for 3 weeks in august and it would be just the job to have volume 2 to kick off with!
Quote:Thats great ben but any chance you could stop posting here and hurry up and finish the 2nd Spartacus book. Im going on holidays to Barleycove for 3 weeks in august and it would be just the job to have volume 2 to kick off with!
Ah, fanmail. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazing and rare Roman find from N. Ireland ParthianBow 11 2,363 06-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  The Roman Invasion of Britain: Landing LvpvsRomanvs 11 2,664 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell