Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohorts sizes
Quote:Actually Polybius seems to be more specific. He says that the 'extra men' were divided "in proporation" amongst the maniples/centuries of Hastati & Principes, and particularly states that the Triarii were always 600 in explanation.
Yes, you are correct. Polyb. 6.21.10 actually says, "If there are more than 4,000 [i.e. men], they create the distribution according to a ratio except for the triarii, who are always the same [i.e. number]". His "ratio" must indicate that every maniple of hastati and principes receives the same number from the excess pool of men.

Thus, the maniples might grow to include as many as 160 men. I misconstrued your post as suggesting that entire extra centuries of men would be created.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:......
Thus, the maniples might grow to include as many as 160 men. I misconstrued your post as suggesting that entire extra centuries of men would be created.

Big Grin
Actually, you weren't wrong. I do indeed believe the equivalent of 'extra centuries' were added to the Triarii, but not necessarily equipped that way. This would lead directly towards the later Republican legion organisation and the 6 Century cohort.

More importantly, it makes much more military sense. When you have a standardised formation and tactical system (in this case the manipular and checker-board one), then you would keep the Hastati & Principes centuries/maniples, as far as possible, the same (occupying a space 20 men wide by 6 deep when the centuries are deployed side-by-side), so that you can arrange, manoeuvre and fight your army.

The 'added in extremis' extras would then form up with the reserve line initially, let alone be available to replace losses in your front lines in subsequent engagements; in either case adding weight/depth for the 'extreme' situation.

No, there doesn't seem to be direct evidence to support that, but then all our historians are writing at too high a level for this. What we don't have are the detailed musings of retiring drill centurions along with a manual for military clerks! :wink: