Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identifying object from Essenbach Hoard / Raetia
Hi! These objects were found in pairs in Essenbach. They are identified as plowshares, but I think they are a bit on the small side. Does anyone have an idea what they are? There were several wheel parts found with them, so I thought this might be a part from a wagon or cart? The plowshare-thing is not very convincing IMO, they are too thin and too small, also the ridge does not really make sense there. Also the row-plough was medieval invention, AFAIK. The latter three pics show such an item with the nails still in place, but the round part being broken off.
Help very much appreciated. Pictures courtesy of the Archäologische Staatssammlung.

[attachment=3245]IMG_0407.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3246]IMG_0409.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3247]IMG_0399.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3248]IMG_0420.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3250]IMG_0422.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3249]IMG_0421.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I know this will sound stupid, but.....

It reminds me of something that clips into another piece to lock two parts together,
and allows a quick release....??? Yes I know.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The fact that they were found in pairs may suggest that they were supposed to be attached as a pair to a pole or shaft of some description. The decorated edge alone could be a disqualifier for a ploughshare (plus they are found in pairs).

What suprises me is the size/strength of the nails through the iron in the last photograph. This suggests that they were very well secured and not intended to move amd were, perhaps, weight bearing or strain bearing?

Any good??? :wink: Otherwise I am like a blind bambi...no eye deer!! (no idea...)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:The fact that they were found in paris may suggest ... The decorated edge alone culd be a disqualifier (plush they are found in pairs). What suproses me is the size/strength of the nails ...
Have you started drinking early, Moi?! :-) (What am I saying? It's 6.30. Get the corkscrew ... )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
That just makes me like my idea even more! Wink
Perhaps for attaching pennants to a chariot or wagon?

Ok a bit big for pennant poles but still....Perhaps for a carrobalista?
Cart mounted balista?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Vindex post=308270 Wrote:The fact that they were found in paris may suggest ... The decorated edge alone culd be a disqualifier (plush they are found in pairs). What suproses me is the size/strength of the nails ...
Have you started drinking early, Moi?! :-) (What am I saying? It's 6.30. Get the corkscrew ... )

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Actually...I wasn't drinking at all. P'raps I need to...I'll go back and edit the original. Sorry Dr Campbell!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I am just looking again at picture 3 and that is not the mirror image of the upper pic' in fact it's the exact opposite with its angle so strange, I shall carry on and think a little more as to why the second or lower bit would fit the other end of a round pole maybe.?
Brian Stobbs
Good evening to everybody,
Hope you don't mind if I chime in but, looking for other things, I have seen this Late La Tène hoard of iron tools from Vrhovlje pri Kojskem in the Soča valley (Slovenia). Unfortunately there is not a reference scale, but the photo of the preserved tools (now exposed in the permanent archaeological exhibition on the Castle Hill at Gorizia) can give an idea of the dimensions.
Here a bibliographical reference:
D. BOŽIČ, The reconstruction and analysis of the Late La Tène hoard of iron tools from Vrhovlje pri Kojskem above the Soča valley. - V: Le valli del Natisone e dell'Isonzo tra Centroeuropa e Adriatico, Studi e ricerche sulla Gallia Cisalpina (Roma 2006 - v tisku.

and a short abstract of a recent work of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts:

SOČA REGION IN THE LA TÈNE PERIOD
The reconstruction and analysis of the Late La Tène hoard of iron tools from Vrhovlje pri Kojskem
The reconstruction of the Late La Tène hoard of iron tools from Vrhovlje pri Kojskem, which also appears in the printed and manuscript sources as well as on the internet under the names Plave and Šmartno pri Kojskem. The majority of the references and publications made to date described its composition inaccurately. The most recent incorrect reference to it, with an inadequate citation of the sources, was by Isabel Ahumada Silva in the exhibition catalogue Gli echi della terra (Pisa 2002) 83. The tools, found in 1891, are in the Regional Museum of Gorizia. The reconstruction of the hoard was enabled by a letter, preserved in the archives of Vienna, which was sent to the Central Commission by Prof. Heinrich Maionica, director of the Regional Museum and curator. Four of five objects are preserved: a ploughshare, two pointed hoes and an axe with one-sided wings. The meat fork is lost, but Maionica made a drawing of it in his letter.

In the photo of the glass case he first, the second, the fourth and the sixth object in the upper row, counting from right to left, belong to the hoard.

Best.
S.M.

[attachment=3394]VrhovljepriKojskem.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3395]ogg_allestimentocollezionearcheologica_museiprovinciali_muse.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
From the top of my head, I believe I have seen depictions of drivers of early modern (30 Years War) supply wagons stemming barge pole like wooden objects into the ground as an additional braking mechanism when going down steep hills. Maybe this could be an iron reinforcement for such a pole?
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:From the top of my head, I believe I have seen depictions of drivers of early modern (30 Years War) supply wagons stemming barge pole like wooden objects into the ground as an additional braking mechanism when going down steep hills. Maybe this could be an iron reinforcement for such a pole?

What a cunning suggestion! Gets my vote :wink:
Moi Watson

Hi all! Thanks of your help! :-)

Apparently it is a dirt-catcher that was somehow fixed to cart-axles... I´ll try to find out more. There is a 16th century cart in Regensburg, which has identical pieces.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Roman mudguards....excellent.
Kevin
Kevin
I look forward to seeing this. I can't quite visualise it at the moment.
The thing I notice is that all the variations shown in the image above, not one has the shoulder like the objects being discussed.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel