Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning to build my own manica
I would like to build my own manica this Spring, although little information is available besides the Legio XX site: http://www.larp.com/legioxx/manica.html and Caballo's (Paul Brown's) page: http://www.romanarmy.net/manica.htm and http://www.romanarmy.net/images/Pages/ar...rials1.pdf

I won't be able to work on this until April/May so I'd like to get as much information down as possible until then.

Q1. To clarify a few things, Matt Amt's site has a drawing of Robinson's manica (not overlapped), but questions the design because Robinson mistook it for a thigh guard, and points out that that if all the larger holes are used for lacing, there will not be enough flexibility over the elbow. Was this because the "old way" of wearing manica was considered, which was over the elbow instead of the the top of the arm?

Q2. Considering I do mine based on the Carisle/Newstead findings, the first plate should be 25.8cm (9.8") long and 9cm (3.5") wide, the lames should range from 25mm-30mm (approx. 1"-1.2") wide, with length depending on where the plate are placed (upper ones longer than the lower ones naturally), does anyone have an answer as to how much should be shaved off of each descending lame until the last one is 12cm long (4.7 inches)? Finally there should be between 24-35 lames depending on the length of my arm.

Q3. Considering I can get the plates cut to their proper sizes, 22 gauge thickness, what is the recommended way to bend them into shape? I would like to make this manica out of brass which I imagine is a little easier to bend than steel (I am aware that the Carisle/Newstead manica in question were both made of iron)

Q3. How much overlap should there be between the plates? All reconstructions I have seen leave the rivets inseens, so just enough to cover the rivet?

Q4. The only tools required to assemble the manica will be a drill to make the holes, and a rivet tool to rivet the steel to the leather. Am I missing anything?

Q5. How do I sew the fabric liner to the manica, do I share the holes used to thread the manica edges together?

I got all my numbers from Paul Brown's (Caballo) page and Matt Amt's page, I took what seemed to be the most logical parts of both and combined them (they actually compliment themselves quite well with Paul's having specific numbers and Matt's having the Robinson's diagram of where exactly the thread and rivet).

This is will be my first armoring attempt, let alone first thing I have made myself for this hobby, tunic aside. Any help and tips are appreciated, if you feel my numbers should be edited, please let me know. Thanks
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
1. Mine was made by some company in Quebec, with the liner laced in. I didn't have any flexibility issues with it.

2. Plan them out on a piece of large paper or cardboard. Put the first lame at the top (the one near the shoulder), and the last one that is nearest your wrist at the bottom. Make a cardboard mock-up same as you would a segmentata. This way you will know how much to taper each plate after the one from the top.

3. 22 gauge is a bit thin, even though that is close to the original width. You don't have the luxury of having a legion armoursmith repairing/making you a new one if it breaks. But it's your call. Bend them using your hands over your thigh, or clamp a piece of steel pipe in a vice, and bend the plates (again using your hands) around that. Brass is actually harder to bend than steel, though at that thickness it won't matter.

3.1 Overlap the plates enough to hide the rivet head, same as on a segmentata.

4. All you need for a rivet tool is a ball peen hammer and an anvil. A whitney punch will be faster than a drill too if you can find one cheap. You'll want a file for the brass edges when you cut it. Side cutters to snip excess rivet shank prior to peening.

5. That is how mine is done. You can use thing leather thong, or waxed linen thread.

Make the mock-up first...better to mess that up than mess up brass plates. Use good cardboard, and use masking tape for the "leather strapping".

Legion: TBD
Good to see this- and good luck! I confess- I didn't make mine - it was made my Andrew Walpole, but top quality reproductions are available at Armamentaria.

Could you take photographs as you do each stage and write them up- both mistakes and breakthroughs? This will be extremely useful.

Thanks

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thank you guys. I will document and post pictures Paul, I won't have access to my grandfather's shop until April/May so nothing too soon (except for a carboard mock-up).

Question Matt, or anyone who has made a paper segmentata, what do you use for leathers and rivets? Perhaps some tacks for the rivets and some scrap fabric for the leather?

Finally, to anyone who has a manica, what gauge is your brass/steel. I agree that 22 seemed a bit thin. I am estimating that on my Deepeeka segmentata that the chest plates are about 16 gauge and the shoulder guards are 18 gauge. So maybe 18 or 20 gauge for the manica?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
You really only need to simulate the leathers with masking tape when making a mock-up. You can use a marker to mark where the rivets will be to give you an idea of where they are going.

Legion: TBD