Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman armor as shown on Coins
As some may know I'm a Roman coin collector. After looking through all the posts on tombstones and Trajan's column I thought some might like to see how armor is depicted in numismatics.

Here is a coin from Constantius II, minted 350-355 AD. FEL TEMP REPARATIO (return of happy times), soldier spearing a fallen Persian horseman. An excellent depiction of the shield and what appears to be a manica?
[attachment=2976]56558q00.jpg[/attachment]

I thought I'd post this one for Roma's helmet and Imperial mantel. Excellent detail and the reverse she-wolf with Remus and Romulus isn't too bad either! Minted in Siscia 330-333 AD.
[attachment=2977]normal_Urbs_Roma_wolf.jpg[/attachment]

and here's one from the Republic 116-115BC. A bit early for most reenactors I know but it is interesting to compare the helmet on this Roma with the previous Roma some 450 years later. The reverse is spectacular, Helmeted horseman galloping left, holding sword and severed Gallic head in left hand. Round shield on back.

[attachment=2978]normal_Sergius_Silius.jpg[/attachment]

I have many more. If someone wants to see a specific time period and how armor was depicted just say so. I know it's not realistic and the artist took some license but perhaps no more than the statuary images. Anyway...enjoy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
One more for tonight. Not mine unfortunately. Constans, minted 348-350AD. Another FEL TEMP with a soldier holding lance and dragging captive barbarian out of a hut. Can anyone tell which helmet type he's wearing? I've actually seen this one with the armor engraved many different ways.

[attachment=2979]5883.jpg[/attachment]

Antony
Jay.
I am myself very interested in Roman coinage and of course do a bit of metal detecting, and like yourself I am aware that the reverse types of coins are what tell us the story or the propaganda that is being put forward.
Those are very interesting indeed however I do wonder if the artist craftsman who made the dies and sets was trying to put forward a more clasical style in the armour, apart from the republican coin that is for we are in fact here into the fourth century.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian. Absolutely correct. It is stylized for sure and mostly porpaganda but there must be hints of reality hidden away. By the 4th century the die cutters for the most part were quite crude, but occasionally you find a real artist as in the ones above. They must have had some basis in reality for the engraving and they are quite different from those of the 1st and second century. Here is a Medallic sestertius of Hadrian which is in the British Museum (gallery 49, case 14)minted in AD 122.

EXERC BRITANNICVS SC ("For the army of Britain, by order of the Senate") RIC 913.

The reverse shows Hadrian addressing the troops in England, standing on a low plinth, clearly showing the Roman soldiers with their standards.
[attachment=2981]HADRIAN-BRITANICUS2.jpg[/attachment]

Ever find anything interesting? Smile I'd love to metal detect but no Roman camps in Canada and in my grandmother's place in Italy it is strictly forbidden!

Antony
Here's an interesting one of Galba with what appears to be a centurion with his shield in his left hand and sword/scabbard on his left.

[attachment=2982]Galba.jpg[/attachment]

and a fantastic solidus of Julian II, are those greaves?

[attachment=2983]Julian.jpg[/attachment]

Antony
One more from the Republic 103BC. Roman soldier, on left, holding shield over fallen comrade and attacking barbarian soldier. Looks like Lorica segmentata bands doesn't it?
[attachment=2984]102355.jpg[/attachment]

Antony
Jay
I have indeed found some nice pieces over the years living here in Hadrian's Wall country, I can also understand what you mean about Italia for I have friends in Roma who live very near to the Via Appia Antica.
I have walked along it and the two grass tracks at the sides realy make me drool but then they would lock you up and throw the key away.
The coin I would very much like to find is a the Hadrian Sestertius of Britannia reverse, I have had an AS of that but maybe one day.
Brian Stobbs
Jay
I'm not wanting to sound rude but should that not be Solidus of Julian II and yes they may well be greeves.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Here is a Medallic sestertius of Hadrian which is in the British Museum (gallery 49, case 14)minted in AD 122.
Hadrian's coins are notoriously difficult to date. (Actually ... maybe not so notoriously, after all.) He held a third consulship in AD 119, and remained COS III until his death in AD 138. In theory, any coin bearing the title COS III could date from anywhere in the period AD 119-138.

Luckily, yours also carries the title P P (pater patriae, "Father of the Fatherland"), which Hadrian did not take until late in AD 127, and which begins to appear on the coinage in AD 128.

Looks as if your coin isn't as old as you thought it was.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:One more from the Republic 103BC. Roman soldier, on left, holding shield over fallen comrade and attacking barbarian soldier. Looks like Lorica segmentata bands doesn't it?
[spoiler][attachment=2984]102355.jpg[/attachment][/spoiler]

I'd rather say that's a fascia ventralis, above a tunic or some kind of (textile? subarmalis-like?) armour. Possible?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
The coins of Hadrian that I think look the better are his full bust and earlier style of titles, as he went on they became much more mundane with just the larger head types.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Jay
I'm not wanting to sound rude but should that not be Solidus of Julian II and yes they may well be greeves.

Ah yes a solidus not aureus. Unfortunately or fortunately :grin: I don't collect either!

Duncan the Hadrian is not my coin. I can only wish!

Antony
Quote:
Jay post=306782 Wrote:One more from the Republic 103BC. Roman soldier, on left, holding shield over fallen comrade and attacking barbarian soldier. Looks like Lorica segmentata bands doesn't it?
[spoiler][attachment=2984]102355.jpg[/attachment][/spoiler]

I'd rather say that's a fascia ventralis, above a tunic or some kind of (textile? subarmalis-like?) armour. Possible?

Very well could be a fascia ventralis but it does look rigid. Also notice what appear to be plates around his shoulders/chest.

This is why I posted them. Other ideas?

Antony
Quote:Can anyone tell which helmet type he's wearing? I've actually seen this one with the armor engraved many different ways.
[attachment=2979]5883.jpg[/attachment]
it's stylised, that's for sure!! It has a crest, but of metal or horsehair??
The helmet looks rather more like a straw hat! :wink:
It might be an Intercisa helmet, but frankly it's anyone's guess..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I'd rather say that's a fascia ventralis, above a tunic or some kind of (textile? subarmalis-like?) armour. Possible?
HAMLET Do you see yonder cloud that’s almost in shape of a camel?
POLONIUS By th' mass, and ’tis like a camel indeed.
HAMLET Methinks it is like a weasel.
POLONIUS It is backed like a weasel.
HAMLET Or like a subarmalis.
POLONIUS Very like a subarmalis.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Coins johnczyk 0 785 03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Last Post: johnczyk