Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belt Advice on Construction
attempt on uploading a picture

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.
Quote:As long as you are using thin sheet, say 0.015" this will happen. If you use something thicker, like 1/32" you should be okbut the pressure required to make the impression may damage the oak.

Found this photo of the Herculaneum frog plate. Looks like two very thin plates were riveted together, to my eyes.

Photo
Source page
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim,

It could be that the upper decorative plate wraps around the rear plate. If you look at the decoration edges you will notice (at least to me) that the sheet goes around the back forming the tube.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
ggg

Samuel J.
ok so lets try here...
Samuel J.
Good point, Doc.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
This link that was given to me earlier in this thread by Neuraleanus...the solid brass balls...are they threaded or have a cavity in which to fit the line through? I am looking at ordering those now, as leather has been ordered! If anyone else can find decent sources for the balls on the belt plates, would be helpful, I myself am still looking Smile

Sam
Samuel J.
Some are solid, some have a threaded hole...on Ebay (if that is where you are getting them from...it's where I got mine) it should specify this.

Legion: TBD
Sam, the bones from animals kept only inside are useless. You need bones from cattle kept outside the whole year. Their bones are much much harder. You probably should look for cannon bones (metapodium) from Argentina.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
How are the belt plates constructed that have the hinges for the frogs and belt buckle? The ones with the rod and balls on the end...is the hinge still integrated into the belt plate, but minus the rod and balls on the hinge side?

Also, do the tubes for the rod and balls completely wrap around, or are they semi-circular?

I am going to make a new belt and was wondering about those two things.

Quote:How are the belt plates constructed that have the hinges for the frogs and belt buckle? The ones with the rod and balls on the end...is the hinge still integrated into the belt plate, but minus the rod and balls on the hinge side?

Also, do the tubes for the rod and balls completely wrap around, or are they semi-circular?

I am going to make a new belt and was wondering about those two things.

Yeah, photos of original plates, especially macro shots of the back side and where they (the barbell things) attach would be really helpful.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
On the topic of balls....

What size should I get...1/4, 3/16"? I figured using a rod of 1/8" for the shaft...

Hello Magnus, I have seen some diagrams of originals and 1/8th on an inch is far too big to my knowledge. I am using 5/64ths " and that seems to be right when looking at any existing originals. This is 1.98 mm for a better idea. I am looking at buying brass beads ( solid ) of 5/32" um...in mm...3.97 and for the "shaft" I think they'll solder nicely...any larger...more susceptable to catch and break off. Any smaller and wouldn't look right... This size suits originals fairly well too. Originals surely varied too so there's no official size for most things!

I can't really upload any progress of mine yet as there's still a image database problem, but I'll try again soon and who knows... My buckle is complete and attatched to an unriveted plate which has enough wrapped around the back to be riveted securely. I have about a dozen other plates ready, and I am planning out my frogs next from a solid piece of brass, like my buckle. I have the rods for the loops, but just need the copper rivets which I am going to ask advice on....I need help on shaft diameter!!! Does 1/16th or 3/32's" sound better for the shaft diameter?! REMEMBER THE ROUNDED HEAD IS LARGER!!! What do you guys use!? I was gonna buy 200 of 3/32" for $21..... Smile but...help???

in fact let me try getting at least a couple pics up now...any other questions ask and PLEASE upload your own progress Smile if not able to...on facebook?

Regards and luck, Sam
Samuel J.
I bought some 1/8" brass balls...the extra 64th shouldn't make or break them visually.

I would use 1/16" for the shaft...unless you have drill bits that are smaller than that. I only have 1/16" so that is what I am going to use.

Salvete omnes, I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary for a belt buckle, to have it's own hinged plate that it attaches to, but not exactly one of the decorative plates. You see, I have made mine like I have seen in other examples, being hinged to the actual plate itself, if this is wrong I will have to change it!

Please let me know if this is the same for pugio frogs. Here are some pictures. I hope you can help, I want to start work tonight.

Sam

.jpg   Creanbltth.beltbuckleandfrogandplates.JPG (Size: 8.17 KB / Downloads: 14)
Samuel J.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belt Apron Terminals - Construction Advice. Titus Marius Secundus 2 1,273 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Titus Marius Secundus
  Leather belt construction Marcus Mummius 75 15,477 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Help/Advise on unique belt construction Robbie Phillips 2 1,278 04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Last Post: AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs