Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal ad Portas
could one of my Latin friends give me a translation into 2nd. cent .BC/BCE Latin Script. OF "Hannibal is at the Gates" thanks Big Grin
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
And while you are chewing over that one could someone please abbreviate (for sign writing) the correct form of
Ludus Infamos

ie would
LVD.INF

be correct??????????????????????????

Thanks also in advance
Richard
no luck here so far RR :|
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Quote:could one of my Latin friends give me a translation into 2nd. cent .BC/BCE Latin Script. OF "Hannibal is at the Gates" thanks Big Grin
You mean?:
Hannibal ad portas - Hannibal is at the gates
Hannibal ante portas - Hannibal before the gates
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
You mean?:
Hannibal ad portas - Hannibal is at the gates ......Yes thank You/
You could consider adding a verb:

Hannibal ad portas est
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Renatus is that how i should write it or would 2nd cent latin script be full of v's & such ,latin is not my thing i can swear pretty good in latin tho LOL ..im good with Punic script & speech tho :wink:
I suppose that the Latin that I was taught at school was more 1st century BC - Caesar, Cicero, etc. - but that is how I would write it. There would be no 'v's in it because, in Roman script, 'v' is actually a 'u'. There was no 'v' in the Latin alphabet but their 'u' was written like one, if you see what I mean.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I always knew that the Latin was 'Hannibal ad portas', in Italy it is used also today to describe an imminent danger from outside (like the vist of some unwanted relatives or friends 8)) .
thank you gentlemen ..i am aware of Hannibal ad portas still being in use . my lady is from Trieste & i tease Her with the saying when something goes wrong ,She just looks at me & shakes Her Head & calls me a Barbarian ,which is true Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hannibal Ad Portas Anonymous 1 1,063 04-26-2004, 02:17 AM
Last Post: JRSCline