Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan hoplite - Dead Persian
I think that the muscle cuirass is correct, and historicaly accurate. And if you search a little you have plenty of exemple of it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4388...5e20ae.jpg

Concerning the "pteruges", as you, i'm a little bit sceptic. I think that the sculpter (who isn't me at all concerning the spartan), have a roman influence concerning this part of the stuff. The greek one seems more squared, and very rarely studed. But who knows if some differences or exceptions would have existed.

Thanks for your comments jackie, and again for your precisions ghostmojo.
Sebastien THIRIET

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Blog on history (FR):
http://unehistoirepourtous.over-blog.com/
Quote:... Concerning the "pteruges", as you, i'm a little bit sceptic. I think that the sculpter (who isn't me at all concerning the spartan), have a roman influence concerning this part of the stuff. The greek one seems more squared, and very rarely studed. But who knows if some differences or exceptions would have existed ...

Which is exactly the point isn't it?

Who can say how many variations of these things were made over a very lengthy period of time of ancient Greek warfare (several centuries) throughout the length and breadth of the ancient Greek world, when hundreds of thousands (if not more) were manufactured?

And that there may have been distinct mass produced versions and more specific bespoke models made to personal taste etc.?

And who can say for certain that Roman fabricators didn't copy earlier (or even later) Greek versions - especially bearing in mind the Greek influence on early Roman armament, dress etc. (including hoplite warrior forms)?
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:I am also inclined to agree with Stefanos' views that tribal unit shield devices were also used (rather than hundreds of individual motifs per warrior) to denote Spartan units.

Are there any sources you can recommend that detail what the tribal shield devices might have been? I recall there were five tribes in Sparta.