Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visting Rome
One of my teachers told me that if you go to the Palatine Hill, you can get tickets there for the Colosseum that will allow you to queue-skip and go straight in when you get there :-P
aka Samantha
ROMA ANTIQVA VII CLAUDIA
Glasses in my avatar are so then I\'m not squinting and giving myself a headache. Generally not worn while on site, if I can help it.
Until a few years ago, the Forum area in the centre of Rome was open and free to get into - it's now been fenced off and have to pay, but the ticket is the same one for the Palatine and Colosseum. I've only been back there once since this was done, and found the whole area a maze of gates, bottlenecks and queues - not a good development! That was in late May/early June, and I'd definitely suggest avoiding this period if possible. The best time for a visit would probably be late autumn, when the weather is still fine but the crowds aren't so overpowering.

The gate to the Palatine just south of the Arch of Constantine still appears to be the best for getting tickets, although even there I found sizeable queues. The ticket itself is good for two days - but everything's closed on a Monday, as mentioned above, and it's best to check the Colosseum's not closed for some inscrutable Roman reason (I fell foul of this one on my last visit too...)

Having said all that, some of the newly-opened areas are very fine: the Nova Via running down into the Forum past the Atrium of the Vestals (although you can't actually get into the Forum that way :evilSmile, and the crytoporticus on the Palatine.

I'd second (or third?) the recommendation for the Palazzo Massimo alla Terme (National Museum of Rome) too - some great statuary etc, and if you can't make it down to Pompeii to see the stuff in situ, there are some reconstructions of Roman rooms with original wall paintings, including the famous 'Garden of Livia' frescoes. Very nice Big Grin
Nathan Ross
Forgot to mention that if you go up to the Palatine, Augustus' house is there (based on the wall paintings). It is only open in the mornings, so go see that first! Livia's house is just beside it and has been recently opened. The views from the Palatine over the forum are spectacular not to mention the other side towards Caracalla's baths and the Circus Maximus.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony