Caesar\'s Legion by Stephen Dando-Collins
Just finished this book and I highly recommend it! <p></p><i></i>
May I suggest<br>
p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm10.showMessage?topicID=355.topic<br>
and<br>
p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm10.showMessage?topicID=155.topic<br>
and<br>
p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm10.showMessage?topicID=100.topic<br>
rather than starting a new discussion, it might be interesting to read these previous discussions. <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, </p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Dando-Collins has also recently produced "Nero's Killing Machine: The True Story of Rome's Remarkable XIV Legion". Anyone seen that one? <p></p><i></i>
well, I have gotten through 1/3rd of the book. It is more actually a historical novel taken from the pages of history and fleshed out with lots of conjecture. I have found out loads of "interesting" stuff, like there were 10 men in a tent group in Caesar's time, Auxiliaries wore leather jerkins in the early Empire, and other of the author's theories....<br>
<br>
Like the review on Amazon says.... "Filled with previously unknown details about Roman military practices, Nero’s Killing Machine is a riveting, eye-opening history of the men who made Rome great."<br>
<br>
Nero's Killing Machine<br>
<br>
<p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Haven't read the book yet, but thought the appendices were interesting. Did you know that Trajan raised four legions!!! - I and II Traiana and XXIX adn XXX Ulpia. Hadrian apparently did historians a big favour by disbanding I and XXIX. in 120 AD (Appendiix A).<br>
<br>
Daniel. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Caius, Daniel. One more to avoid, then. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dando-Collins, \'Legions of Rome\' Carus Andiae 16 9,375 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LupercusArchanus
  New Book from Dando-Collins: Great Fire of Rome Narukami 25 7,513 08-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Last Post: rononmaximus
  The Ides -- A New Book by Dando-Collins Narukami 2 1,906 03-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar