Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holding up a cingulum with segmentata
Since maille & scale armor really benefits from having a belt on the waist to better disperse the weight onto the hips, et al, I can imagine the intent is the same for Segmentata, So I sometimes wonder if our reconstructions need to be re-worked a little bit, or, somehow getting the belt on tight enough to push the lower plates onto the hips. I've tried it to an extent, and it does seem to help. But, every now and then the belt will pop off or the lowest plate corners will bite into me (when I bend over or sit)...So...More experimenting I suppose.

Otherwise I currently use a leather tie fed through between the plates on my left side. I'll throw the belt on and buckle it (tight), try to sit the bottom edge on top of the first tie loops on the armor, and then tie the tie to the belt on the left side and call it done. Sometimes I'll use the ties on the armor, being a tad longer than the others, between the bottom 2 loops, and tie two ends together to hold the belt in between. My baldric seems to help keep the belt up on the right side. (here I admit I still tend to put the baldric under the belt while wearing armor. I have tried the baldric 'loose' and really am indifferent about it, both arrangements work ~ I chalk it up to personal preference until more evidence is uncovered)

Unfortunately (I) don't have any solid evidence to support such a method, but it works pretty well, easy and cheap and easy to remove if needed. Perhaps more evidence will trickle its way out to us down the road.

My duo denarii I suppose.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I tried the S-hooks in the back (hooked over the first unsecured torso plate), and they worked a mint. Held everything nice and tight, and didn't show.

I've ordered a larger tunic and seggie, and I think that will help, but thanks again for all the suggestions.

-Licinus
Jonathan
Never had a problem keeping my belt up. As long as its done up really tight and is worn around the waist ie. above your hip bone and across the navel/thats your belly button, i cant understand why it should not stay up.
Kevin
Kevin
My girdle plates don't compress in like yours...based on your avatar picture. Either that or you have nice curvy hips which I lack lol.

Legion: TBD
Thank you Magnus :wink:
A lot of that "flaring out" is my tunic...im only a 30 waist and my 1st cent tunic could double up for a Contuburnium tent.
What im trying to say is that if the belt is tight enough then the leather should grip the armour, this could depend on how much "metal/rivets/washers" are on the inside of the belt as this would decrease the "adhesive" power of the leather. Maybee thats the problem, not the armour but the belt.
Just my thoughts
Kevin
Kevin
Could be...does your belt have a leather backing? Otherwise all my rivet heads and washers are on the back...metal on metal doesn't grip well.

Legion: TBD
No leather backing....no more metal showing on the insidethan the usual i would think. The leather however has been treated substantially with neadsfoot oil,dye and dubbin, i think this helps the adhesive/abrasive powers of the leather more especially when in tight contact with the metal plates. Attached are 3 pics of the rear of the belt.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Holding a Spear on your Back? cmmcgarr 3 3,553 09-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Urselius