Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Ravenna!
I'm in Ravenna now at the Notturni mosaic school. Some really lovely (mostly Byzantine) mosaics here.<br>
<br>
Jasper, I stopped in Brugg (Vindonissa) on the way down here and took a couple of photos of two illustrated (but fragmentary) tombstones.<br>
<br>
I am now earnestly looking for any tombstones I can find for Ravenna fleet veterans, but hmmm, there's only one illustrated one (and it isn't that good) in the National Museum here.<br>
<br>
Any ideas where the Ravennese keep their surely-numerous Roman naval gravestones?<br>
<br>
Do any of our Italian friends want to meet in Ravenna for an evening?<br>
<br>
I have no plans after Friday but thought I would probably head back north for more quality time hiking in the Alps! God, I thought I died and went to heaven when I ascended in the train from Lauterbrunnen and beheld the trio of Jungfrau, Moench, and the Eiger laid before me...<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Coolness! I know for sure there are more naval tombstones on display in Ravenna, cause my parents photographed some, but without images on them. As far as I know there are only about 6 naval tombstones with depictions on them from the entire period, over the entire empire.<br>
<br>
The Archiepiscopal Museum apparently contains 'pagan funerary inscriptions'.<br>
Other options:<br>
Le Cappuccine Multivalent Cultural Centre Bagnacavallo (Ravenna)<br>
via Vittorio Veneto, 1<br>
<br>
Municipal Museum<br>
Castel Bolognese (Ravenna)<br>
viale Umberto I, 50<br>
<br>
But these are not in Ravenna itself.<br>
<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper, the photos of the Vindonissa tombstones will be posted to you next week. You may have to play with the contrast when you scan them; my film camera's not the greatest.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
No problem. Playing and fiddling, love it!<br>
Are the pictures from the outside tombstone display? On their site I saw there's one heavily decorated dude there. Enough phalerae, armillae and torques to fill a few chests. Did you photograph that one? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jasperoorthuys>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 9/3/03 5:37 pm<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I only stopped for about 1/2 an hour and I only looked around inside. Didn't know there was an outdoor display. The two I sent you were set into wall of a small room in the back and had no captions.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Never mind. Gotta have an excuse to go there! The ones you sent me are already in the imagebase. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys