Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Lorica segmentata from Caerleon
Quote:I would like to mention that the vine leaf plate with its little face looks to be the one that would have been fitted to the right ear piece of a leather chamfron.
This is due to its configuration where the leaf curve swings from bottom right to its point at top left, indeed for the want of a better word in the fashion a number 6.

Couldn't agree more!

And I harbour a hope - however unlikely - that the left ear decoration is still in the soil block :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
What I think might also be a good idea is that all the soil should be checked, for as I have mentioned about other leather chamfrons they have even smaller dome studs with 3mm heads.
Then the 3mm used on the Vindolanda have shanks of only about 1/2mm in dia' that were put thro' the leather and simply bent over indeed many of the shanks are still there in the leather on this chamfron but minus their 3mm heads, the 6mm and the 17mm had to have bellcaps for the shanks are too thick to just bend over.
It realy does become an interesting thing that these vine leaves and faces are coming up in many places concerning chamfrons.
Brian Stobbs
I looked at Archaeological finds from Caerleon and specifically Caerleon Roman armour.
In this connection I want to share with you such a Archaeological finding shown in the Historical
Museum in Stara Zagora-(Roman city Augusta Traiana) Bulgaria. This armour is also with concentric trim but affixed to the Lorica Hamata Authentic 6mm punched and riveted ring . But in this case armour Is Decorated with silver concentric trim!
[Image: de03afe56f2a.jpg]
The fund contains about 8,000 exhibits covering the period of Hellenistic, Roman, late Roman and Byzantine ages.The fund is kept rich collection of objects: weapons, glassware, jewelry, tools, Thracian chariots, stone sculpture, ancient and late ancient mosaics derived from the ancient city and its administrative territory.
http://museum.starazagora.net/Eind.htm
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Wow - never seen that before. Do you know anything of the context it was found in? The period? Off to google... :wink:

I think your museum has just been added to my "must go and see" list and added above some other places too!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
In this museum there are some others amazing things too Smile.. But if you know how many more such a things are there in Bulgarian museums ..Even archaeologists do not know that these artifacts аре revolutionary for antique re-enacting! We had participation there! Here are are more photos.. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1...=3&theater
So as I saw this armour I decided that it is unique and deserves attention! it is found in archeology excavations in the city Augusta Traiana -Stara Zagora.
Probably was armour an officer! Given that discs- trim are silver!Assumptions of the professionals was that it was owned by the standard bearer ( Vexillarius or signifer ) from the auxiliary cohort (which guarded the city and the Roman military roads).
But these are suggestions.Armour may have been owned and from legionnaire officer. Given that the city Augusta Traiana was Roman crossroad. Dated is as the first century A.D.
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Hey Rado, the image link doesnt work. Im fairly excited to see what you have discovered
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Rado

It certainly does need attention...but I can't access your Facebook link either :? .

(By the way the first link you gave had a tantilising piece of glass but I don't know if the text on the web page is just underlining or meant to be further lnks; if it is the latter I can't get them to work either.)
Moi Watson

That is sad for I also cannot get into that facebook link which would have been interesting I'm sure.
Brian Stobbs
Thank you for your interest guys!
If anyone wants to see more pictures of my album "Meeting the Emperor Septimius Severus in Augusta Traiana" please find me on FB with my name Radostin Kolchev. Because this topic is not appropriate to put here photos from this re-enacting event.
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Thanks for another interesting photo and Info Rado!
That is amazing! Just proves nothing is set in stone in
Roman history! (well not all things!) Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Another posting from Penny on the armour blog
Louise Mumford
Even more intriguing...

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/blog/201...ts_message
Moi Watson

Just bumping this up again in case people have missed it.

Moderators: would it be possible to have the discussion on this peice of equipment (whatever it is) seperated out from the LS - PLEASE...pretty please?
Moi Watson

Moi.

That link is just great and some fantastic stuff there however I don't wish to nit pic, for it may even be me not looking at things correct but in the last two pic's is that large disc not the wrong way around where it is with the other smaller discs.

It's from looking at the xray that shows the shanks of the small discs along with the chain and bellcap all facing upward, therefore should the large stud not be around the other way as shown in the pic above.
Brian Stobbs
Erm...if I have understood you...the VERY last picture shows the conserved piece as it was in the ground but with the dirt removed (compare to the highlighted part in the second picture down - a sort of before and after if you like).

The second last picture is the wrong way round to the way it was found, but done so to show the surface.

Does that make sense?
Moi Watson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 610 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,134 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 656 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong