Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galerius\' army
I have found snaps of the arch of Galerius but cannot find any detailed drawings of the panels other than in James' new book and an old book on the Sassanids. Are there any other (accessible!) drawings of the soldiers on the arch?

Theo
I've actually never seen detailed drawings of the arch. The sources I'm aware of (Makaronas 1970, Rothman 1977) use rather indifferent b&w photographic plates - but I'm sure others exist.

There used to be a collection of good quality photos on the panels online, but it's since vanished - a great shame. Some of the panels have a wealth of detail - and not only of the famous scale-armoured 'praetorians'. If anyone knows of another picture source I'd be very interested.

This thread has some discussion of the arch and its depictions:

Mailed Soldiers on the Arch of Galerius
Nathan Ross
Nathan,

Thank you for the link. It is helpful.

I've been searching the web but to little effect. Most of the photos of the arch itself are of the whole thing rather than any particular panel and the one that gets reproduced in closeup and in drawings is the famous one of the soldiers in scale armour and conical helmets. At least the full panel is shown in a drawing in the latest book on the Romans by Simon James.

Theo
I would recommend

arachne.uni-koeln.de

O.K. it's only in German and you have to register (it costs nothing) to view high resolution pictures but it is my prefered online source when looking for reliefs, statues, etc.
Type "Galeriusbogen" (or whatever you looking for) in the field "suchen" and you will see what you get.

Greets
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thanks Andreas!

That's a great resource - and some really good pictures of the Arch.

http://arachne.uni-koeln.de/arachne/imag...height=400
Nathan Ross
Hello Andreas,

Thank you for the link. The site has the best images I have seen so far.

Theo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum on Galerius Arch F. MAXIMILIANVS ITALICVS 18 4,286 05-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Macedon
  Mailed soldiers on the Arch of Galerius M.P. 33 11,463 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Last Post: markhebb
  Arch of Galerius Gwalchmai 1 1,215 02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat