Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lorica segmentata Question
I made this one out of leather so that I could also wear it without the in this case Hamata that I use. I have since added some sheepskin under the Shoulder doublers which makes a big big difference to the comfort and load distribution on the shoulder.Something similar without the Ptruges would probably be ok. Also it provide some degree of protection when out of armour and working or posing for the ladies in the best bar in the Imperium.
It is fastened at the sides with leather laces and the shoulder doublers are removable.

If you want more detail pics I can do some when I get home at the weekend.

[attachment=2722]IMG_0478.jpg[/attachment]

cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
That looks awesome. how long did it take you to make it?
Matthew Titus Fox /Matthaeus Titus Austus
LEGIO XXIV
www.legionxxiv.org

"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!" - Marcus Lucanus
Where I mention no subarmalis is in the context that modern re-enactors have gone off with the idea that they have to have a very thick garment, at times in the region of 1/2 an inch/12mm thick that is rediculous for a lorica segmentata a simple thin sheet leather garment yes.

Then in the article put forward by Mike Bishop with comment about the gap in the front of a segmentata, this will obviously come about from the angle of the upper rear shoulder plates which makes it that way to give the shoulder its slope. With segmentata and people feeling pain on the shoulders at times has an awful lot to do with just who made the damn thing for you.
Brian Stobbs
I must disagree. Wearing any type of armour where the majority of the weight is placed on your shoulders, for an extended period of time is going to start causing discomfort. And a simple piece of leather is not enough to displace the kinetic energy from a weapon blow. You need padding which can absorb it.

I've worn my segmentata for 14-15 hours at Lafe, where I was running, fighting etc. If my shoulder areas weren't padded, I would not have been able to move the next day. Literally. We were all sore as it was. Not having padding where the weight is focused is ludicrous.

Legion: TBD
Hi Matthew
Thanks for that.

It actually didn't take that long.

I took the pattern from a sleeveless fleece body warmer and made a front and back.
I fitted a flap on the front piece to cover the leather thong I used to stitch up the sides and doubled the edges over to look better.

I sewed on shoulder Pteruges onto leather squares and leather laced them onto the shoulders
The lower abdomen Pteruges are actually seperate on a belt.
I want to give those a second row when I get some more Leather. As mentioned this weekend I will pad those shoulder doublers out with some cheapo sheepskin from IKEA (€29,99 not nice stuff but a bit of olive oil on the back makes it look more authentically tanned till I find a better looking sheep) I think that will then work with hamata or segmentata. just make the pteruges scarce!

It took me a week sitting in a hotel in Sweden with nothing else to do but ogle blondes. As beer is so expensive I decided on that project instead!

I am in that same hotel at the moment but when I get home I will make some more photo's and post them up.

The Calligae I also made myself.....they also get sheepskin socks this weekend.
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

Thank you Magister Twit Big Grin
I had not seen that article since I saw it in a friends copy of exercitus long ago and greatly appreciate it being made available. Based on your deductive reasoning and scholarship I carried the theory that Roman shoulder pads may be depicted in some gladiator depictions- such as the Borghese mosaic

I know that the black garment could also be just the rear of the helmet
but once you start looking it is easy to interpret either way.

Thanks again
Richard

Quote:Thank you Magister Twit Big Grin
I had not seen that article since I saw it in a friends copy of exercitus long ago and greatly appreciate it being made available. Based on your deductive reasoning and scholarship I carried the theory that Roman shoulder pads may be depicted in some gladiator depictions- such as the Borghese mosaic

I know that the black garment could also be just the rear of the helmet
but once you start looking it is easy to interpret either way.
Glad it's appreciated ;-) I think I see what you mean; presumably you are interpreting it as linked to the manica (which must have had a padded lining for the same reasons; no trace of it on the Carlisle armguards, though, but that means little).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Haven't got round to making the photo's or sewing up bits of sheep yet as I have a flippin Haggis to prepare to eat with representatives of the local Germanic types later!

Calligae are worth a go at

Mine are of the Castleford/Falkenburg type (not such a hit in winter)

I got info on the patterns Here

I think they were Martin Mosers. They worked out great but I made them a bit large.
But thats an advantage now as I am sticking bits of unhappy sheep into them.

The nails I got from Armamentaria and they set them off nicely

Not going as quick as I hoped as I have been working away and the missus has stacked up jobs for me
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

Hi Matthew,
Finally as promised a few more pics of my Subarmalis.
As I mentioned I took a Fleece bady warmer as a pattern.
I tried to make it as simple as possible, my thoughts were along the lines of if you could do it easilly it would be easy to make and repair in the field as needed.

Without the shoulder pads. They are laced on at 3 points.

[attachment=3261]IMG_0561.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3262]IMG_0562.JPG[/attachment]

The lacing at the shoulder and the sides to hold front and back together.
I slide it on over my head instead of laciing it up. Same as my Hamata.

[attachment=3263]IMG_0563.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3264]IMG_0564.JPG[/attachment]

The shoulder pads as I was attaching the Sheepskin padding (great improvent on weight distribution).

[attachment=3266]IMG_0567.JPG[/attachment]

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Steve

Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

How do you find it breathes in the hot weather? Mine is wool, but it actually keeps me fairly cool.

Legion: TBD
I have had no trouble with it to be honest. I found it not too bad.
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

Steve that is amazing work. I'm going to try making a similar one. I'm leaning towards half moon shoulder pads rather than square. I've seen some have padding across the back of the neck also, you only have it on the shoulders. Is it sufficient just on the shoulders? I'd imagine the leather gives a nice bit of protection to the neck.

Your pictures should be posted in the subarmalis thread as well. I almost missed it!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Jay
I still have a heap of Sheepskin left and I had been thinking about putting it round the neck area as well.
So far however it's been great just on the shoulders.
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? Roman Military History is 4 Me 8 3,576 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,513 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,296 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola