Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata rings and horsehair
I'm currently reading through the new book by D. Sim & J. Kaminski: Roman imperial armour and would highly recommend it.

However, in their discussion about Ring Mail (Lorica hamata) they made a statement that is totally new for me. (Page 132)

Quote:Riveted rings come in a variety of size en those shown in Figure 101 [Non-ferrous riveted rings from Leiden] are some of the smallest non-ferrous rings. Experiments were successfully conducted to reproduce these rings using the same production method as described above. However, producing rivets that go through the holes proved impossible as the holes are 0.4mm in diameter. The punches required to form these rivet holes had to produced to a very high degree of precision. Because there are no remaining rivets in this section of mail it is conceivable that the rings were secured buy organic material such as horsehair.

Is there any other source for this statement. Is it discussed anywhere else?

PS. the Leiden (The netherlands) rings have a OD of 3.1mm and an ID of 2.12, the wire thickness being .51mm only
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica hamata- jointless welded rings marcos 10 2,498 07-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Last Post: marcos
  Tinned or silvered Hamata rings or Scales? jkaler48 8 2,621 01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Last Post: Peroni