Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trimontium (Newstead) Archaeological Finds
In Rosemary Sutcliff's fiction book Sword At Sunset she mentions in the story that a dwarf girl was buried under nine horses in one of the forts of the well. Is she referring to an actual archaeolgical find? The book implies that it is but I can find no information on such a discovery.
Quote:In Rosemary Sutcliff's fiction book Sword At Sunset she mentions in the story that a dwarf girl was buried under nine horses in one of the forts of the well. Is she referring to an actual archaeolgical find? The book implies that it is but I can find no information on such a discovery.
She was pretty spot on (although she got the name of the site a bit muddled and called it Tri<no>montium – I confess I correct it whenever I read it aloud :oops: – and I'm not sure the sex of the skeleton was determined). A whole host of goodies were found in the pits, including an upright tree, and it has led to the Ritual Squad having a field day. You can find Curle's description here.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Simon Clarke's account states that Pit 1 contains parts of an "iron corset." Ritual? Or just kink?
Quote:Simon Clarke's account states that Pit 1 contains parts of an "iron corset." Ritual? Or just kink?
This is the well in the headquarters building and is THE Newstead lorica segmentata... so definitely kink ;-)

Mike Bishop

Thank you gentlemen for that reference, I forgot about that scene..
Of course Sutcliff dated the burial to the later 5th century..

Curle, page 120:

PIT XVII. Diameter at surface 6 feet 6 inches; at bottom 4 feet 10 inches. Depth 31 feet 9 inches. A coating of thick clay seemed to have sealed the pit. Below this it was filled with a very dark coloured deposit.

Finds. Near the surface, a small piece of Castor ware. In the first 18 feet, the bones of nine horses. At 18 feet 9 inches, a skeleton of a dwarf lying across the pit. Below the skeleton, the skull of a dog, many oyster and mussel shells, the skull of an ox, fragments of leather, among it many small circular pieces. Fragments of Terra Sigillata, among them pieces of a decorated bowl (Type, Dragendorff 30) with cruciform pattern (page 211, Fig 1), and of a platter (Type, Dragendorff 18) with the incomplete stamp OF.V (VITALIS?). Bricks, portions of flue tiles, a large iron hammer (Plate LVII., Fig. 6). A small saw with deer horn handle (Plate LXVIII., Fig. 6), an iron stylus and a finger ring, shells of oysters and mussels, and many hazel nuts.

Cleared out 29 November, 1905.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
At 18 feet 9 inches, a skeleton of a dwarf lying across the pit. Below the skeleton, the skull of a dog, many oyster and mussel shells, the skull of an ox, fragments of leather, among it many small circular pieces. Fragments of Terra Sigillata, among them pieces of a decorated bowl (Type, Dragendorff 30) with cruciform pattern (page 211, Fig 1), and of a platter (Type, Dragendorff 18) with the incomplete stamp OF.V (VITALIS?). Bricks, portions of flue tiles, a large iron hammer (Plate LVII., Fig. 6). A small saw with deer horn handle (Plate LXVIII., Fig. 6), an iron stylus and a finger ring, shells of oysters and mussels, and many hazel nuts.

That must have been one hell of a party !

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote: A whole host of goodies were found in the pits, including an upright tree, and it has led to the Ritual Squad having a field day.
Mike Bishop

Well lets face it: getting p***ed and having a cracking party is a ritual for most archaeologists and no one can ever remember where the door or the traffic cones came from... :lol:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Are you saying that Archaeologists can behave in the same way we did in the military that's impossible for I always thought them to be a sober crowd.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Are you saying that Archaeologists can behave in the same way we did in the military that's impossible for I always thought them to be a sober crowd.

ROFWMKL!!!

I wonder if that's why I left archaeology to join the army, Brian? Similar culture (ish)!! :mrgreen:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:ROFWMKL!!!
That was my reaction, too, Moi. (More or less -- not sure about how many of your letters I performed, or in what order, but definitely R, F, and L.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Vindex post=304973 Wrote:ROFWMKL!!!
That was my reaction, too, Moi. (More or less -- not sure about how many of your letters I performed, or in what order, but definitely R, F, and L.)
I thought Scottish law forbade WMKing on Thursdays. The military and acronyms, eh? Only matched by all flavours of educationalist...

Mike Bishop

Quote:I thought Scottish law forbade WMKing on Thursdays.
The trick is not to get caught! (Of course, every other day, Werken met Kwaliteitskaarten is positively encouraged. Wink )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Jeff Figuerres post=304841 Wrote:In Rosemary Sutcliff's fiction book Sword At Sunset she mentions in the story that a dwarf girl was buried under nine horses in one of the forts of the well. Is she referring to an actual archaeolgical find? The book implies that it is but I can find no information on such a discovery.
She was pretty spot on (although she got the name of the site a bit muddled and called it Tri<no>montium – I confess I correct it whenever I read it aloud :oops: – and I'm not sure the sex of the skeleton was determined). A whole host of goodies were found in the pits, including an upright tree, and it has led to the Ritual Squad having a field day. You can find Curle's description here.

Mike Bishop

No, she got it right. At least in the first edition, of which I have a copy. Maybe a typo or something in a later edition or printing. To be honest I still think of that book as THE book for a historical fiction for our royal buddy enigma...(whom I think we all secretly would like to find something like a headstone or lunch note or something with his name on it so we can get on with it...)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman arm guard - Trimontium dadlamassu 2 173 01-21-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Trimontium Museum John W Davison 4 347 08-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  archaeological scutum finds Cephas23 10 2,644 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell