Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoutbox?
Perhaps we could do with a SHOUTBOX on this forum? It might dispense with the need to just make quick answers to posts which sometimes trail off into chatter. Not that I am opposed to such things, but Robert V himself (who has been very busy today!) might welcome one!
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:It might dispense with the need to just make quick answers to posts which sometimes trail off into chatter.
Sometimes the chatter is the best bit.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Yep, sometimes it is. There IS a time for scholarly, well-reasoned tomes, but it isn't ALL the time, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It seems I have misunderstood, I thought this was the shoutbox. :lol:

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:Not that I am opposed to such things, but Robert V himself (who has been very busy today!) might welcome one!
Perhaps I might? Explain to me the nature and use of a shoutbox? :?: :?:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Ghostmojo post=304825 Wrote:Not that I am opposed to such things, but Robert V himself (who has been very busy today!) might welcome one!
Perhaps I might? Explain to me the nature and use of a shoutbox? :?: :?:

A Shoutbox is an open dialogue box on the front page of a web site forum. Here's an example of another (music) site I visit that has one:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?m...shboneashc

You can key in quick (or longer if so inclined) comments for others to read without them needing to trawl through the site. When folks are on the forum at the same time sometimes it is a handy way of just saying "Hi, how's the weather in Vladivostock today?" or "Did you read that post about the Roman so and so...?". As you can see with the example above, you can scroll down the messages so far but after a while the earlier ones disappear. I think you can set it to store so many (perhaps 10-15) and as each new one gets added, an older one further down disappears. It's a bit like a Stop Press headlines kind of thing. Some sites have them and some don't. The best thing about it that people can post quick off-the-cuff pleasantries to each other without them becoming embedded into a proper thread.

It exists in addition to the Private Messaging system. It's more like a Public Messaging System.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]