Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first loculus
It's (almost) "brutally authentic", as Rusty Myers would put it ("almost" because the red leather is chromed; sorry, I'll know better next time). The rest: vegetable-tanned goat leather, waxed linen thread, brass (the central ring - from Quiet Press). I still need to put a shoulder strap and some dangles (I think I'll suspend them from the rings).

I have to say that one goat skin got used absolutely perfectly - just enough, with only some small scraps left over (the biggest piece left over was used to make an inside pocket, seen in the first picture).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

www.romaiv.com - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?
Man saying it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it. (Chinese proverb)
Nice work! There's nothing to apologize for here. Many stitches involved, yes?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Nice work!
There is the theory about that these were actually water skins.
Although I wonder why the soldiers would carry 2 skins, of different designs,
On campaign where much of the route is along a river, and the rest in
Mountains whee there are many streams!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:There is the theory about that these were actually water skins.

And there is the theory that these bags would be made out of (waterproved) linen/canvas. Unless one turns up, we don't know.

Nice work. Well done!
ALA I BATAVORUM
There are leather bits from Egypt which apparently
Match these! I would like to see them!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The leather (!) finds from Mons Claudianus were published by

M. Volken, The Water Bag of Roman Soldiers, in: JRA 21 (2008), 264-274.
and
S. Winterbottom, The Leather Objects, in: J. Bingen (Ed.), Quatrième campagne de fouilles au Mons Claudianus, DIFAO 90 (1990), 78-81.
and a few others referenced in Volken´s article. IMO rather sound, although the reenactment community seems to be quite resistant to this.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Many stitches involved, yes?

Oh yes, many hours of work... A lot more than I'd care to admit to my wife :-)
However, it's a very nice hobby. When I get bored with my other work (web programming :-)) I just get up from my desk, go to the work bench and do some stitching.

Re water bottles - yes, maybe these bags were water bottles but in the absence of other designs for bags it was the best I could do to have a bag. And, for a water bottle, I can't hope to do better than these guys (link) so I just bought two from them...
www.romaiv.com - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?
Man saying it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it. (Chinese proverb)