Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dura-Europos: Crossroads of Antiquity
Has anyone seen this book? Is it worth £42.00 (new) / Confusedhock: £274.45 (used) ?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Wow, better get the used one, it's cheaper.... :roll:
Must have been touched by JC himself...

no I haven't seen it.
I have the final report, but this will be someones interpretation of what he has read, will it not?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Must have been touched by JC himself...
Your good self (Julius Caesar)? :wink:

Quote:... but this will be someones interpretation of what he has read, will it not?
It seems to be an exhibition catalogue, with original articles about the exhibits.
Well, maybe worth £45 then.... Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Boy, someone's been trying to make a fast buck; that "used" price is obscene. I could have bought it when I visited the exhibit at New York University in NYC for about $26.00 in December, but chose not to.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
The price could have been set by a computer.

BBC: When algorithms control the world

The article blames Amazon's algorithm for the $23 million book in the article, but I think it was probably a third party, like the seller's.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Boy, someone's been trying to make a fast buck; that "used" price is obscene. I could have bought it when I visited the exhibit at New York University in NYC for about $26.00 in December, but chose not to.

Different catalogue I think. The one for the NYC exhibition was this one:-
http://isaw.nyu.edu/exhibitions/edge-of-.../catalogue

Looks like the 'Crossroads' catalogue is still available from the McMullen Museum though, for a much more reasonable price:-
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/artmuse...index.html
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I think there may have been a hiccup surely, for £27-45 would be a more reasonable price.
Brian Stobbs
The price has now fallen to a much more reasonable £219.56! :roll:
Quote:The price has now fallen to a much more reasonable £219.56! :roll:
Good job it's not priced in Euros... Is there a speculative futures market in secondhand books, I wonder? Should I buy up all of Ben Kan'e Spartacuseseses now and hoard them for a rainy day?!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Sorry about the confusion - they are using the same image to promote the "Edge of Empire" exhibit. Still $219!! is way beyond what it should be priced.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Is the book any good? Does it offer any startling insights or advance our knowledge of the finds or the period?

If not, I wouldn't even part with the £42!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
If it has amazing photos of the artifacts, I would...maybe!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The price has now fallen to a much more reasonable £219.56! :roll:
Oufff.. Now that's a reasonable price (not for me). :-|
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:If it has amazing photos of the artifacts, I would...maybe!

I've already seen those, including the persian(?) soldier they tried to drag to safety--for free at the library. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Excavations at Dura-Europos bargain at oxbow Crispianus 13 2,965 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! Virilis 25 7,450 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Last Post: C. Apollonius Priscus
  Photos of Dura Europos excavations and more! gaiusseptimiuslucianus 3 1,582 07-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Last Post: John Conyard