Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Encyclopedia of the Roman Army
added to the existing thread. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Finally!!! Published on February 23rd and on March 4th, and the contributors also get a notification.. Smile

Dear Contributor,
Greetings!
I am pleased to announce that The Encyclopedia of the Roman Army (ERA) (ISBN 978-140-517-619-4) published in print on 23rd February 2015 at a list price of $495.00 / £299.00 / €385. It also published electronically on Wiley Online Library on 4th March 2015 and is now available to access. Congratulations and thank you once more for your excellent contribution to the publication.
Finally, the Major Reference Works Team and I would like to thank you on behalf of Wiley for your valuable addition to this publication.
Best wishes,
Emile Young
SSH Books Editorial Assistant
Classics | History | Linguistics
Wiley
350 Main St.
Malden, MA 02148
www.wiley.com
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Robert

Any indicator of when they would be sending you your free copy?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Any indicator of when they would be sending you your free copy?
Never! I have 12 months' free access to download all the pdf's I want. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Graham Sumner post=367088 Wrote:Any indicator of when they would be sending you your free copy?
Never! I have 12 months' free access to download all the pdf's I want. Wink
We'll have to have a race: me looking up a random fact in my dead-tree version compared to you finding and opening the right PDF file ;-)

Seriously, if anybody wants to read my two contributions, I've linked to them on my website (I'm allowed to post them there but not on academia.edu; go figure ...).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mike Bishop wrote:

"my dead-tree version" :woot: Rain forest version! seriously impressed and envious.

"We'll have to have a race:" A non starter, I am still reading the instructions on how to get a pdf. An Encyclopedia in itself!

Now... when they said you will get a free copy :errr: Sad
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Now... when they said you will get a free copy :errr: Sad
You don't actually get a freebie. They give an 'honorarium' depending on the size of your contribution (as ever, size matters). Since I spat out 13,000 words, I was offered $200 cash or $400 worth of books (with a 35% discount). So ... you can get an ERA and have a little left over for a couple of other books too if you take the honorarium in books.

Seems a rather long-winded way of doing things, if you ask me, which nobody ever does (and is part of the problem) ... I'm beginning to sound a bit Marvin, there ;-)

Mike Bishop

Quote:
Graham Sumner post=367187 Wrote:Now... when they said you will get a free copy :errr: Sad
You don't actually get a freebie. They give an 'honorarium' depending on the size of your contribution (as ever, size matters). Since I spat out 13,000 words, I was offered $200 cash or $400 worth of books (with a 35% discount). So ... you can get an ERA and have a little left over for a couple of other books too if you take the honorarium in books.
They once said I'd get a discount on the book version. never any talk of money. So I guess I'm happy with the pdf access, of which I'll download the ones I'm interested in. The only drawback is that the pages on the articles are not the same numbers as in the paper publication. I think that's a mistake.

Quote: Seriously, if anybody wants to read my two contributions, I've linked to them on my website (I'm allowed to post them there but not on academia.edu; go figure ...).
If you'll post my contributions on academia.edu, I'll post yours. Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:They once said I'd get a discount on the book version. never any talk of money. So I guess I'm happy with the pdf access, of which I'll download the ones I'm interested in. The only drawback is that the pages on the articles are not the same numbers as in the paper publication. I think that's a mistake.
I checked this out in my contract as I too thought I was getting a freebie (not sure why I thought that). Your contract with Wiley should have specified that you get an honorarium according to your wordage: 2500-4999 words ($100 books); 5000-9999 words ($200 books); 1000+ words ($400 books or $200 cash). If you wrote less than 2500 words, then I guess you have to make do with nice words and some PDFs :-o

Quote:If you'll post my contributions on academia.edu, I'll post yours. Smile
NyeeeeoooowwwTHUNK! (that's the sound of a heat-seeking, nap-of-the-earth DMCA takedown notice coming in over the hedges ;-) )

Mike Bishop

Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=367220 Wrote:If you'll post my contributions on academia.edu, I'll post yours. Smile
NyeeeeoooowwwTHUNK! (that's the sound of a heat-seeking, nap-of-the-earth DMCA takedown notice coming in over the hedges ;-) )

Philip Rance just posted his 6 contributions on academia.edu. Next to 10 more he did for another encyclopadia from Wiley Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Philip Rance just posted his 6 contributions on academia.edu. Next to 10 more he did for another encyclopadia from Wiley Wink
I noticed. Question is, will Wiley?!

Mike Bishop

Quote:Question is, will Wiley?!
The other contributions seem to have been there for some time. But perhaps he strong-armed them into a special arrangement?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:But perhaps he strong-armed them into a special arrangement?
I doubt it. I suspect the reason publishers dislike big aggregators like academia.edu are those clauses in the tiny little print (of the aggregators' EULAs) that say, effectively 'we own it all, regardless' (what I call the 'you're my wife now, Dave' clause). Only reason I could see that they were happy for me to put things on my site but not on academia.edu.

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Encyclopedia of the Roman Army caiusbeerquitius 1 1,024 02-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Illustrated Encyclopedia Uniforms of Roman World JeffF 2 1,343 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Last Post: AMELIANVS