Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forestier\'s Roman Soldier
Forestier's description of the cataphract seems to owe something to Heliodorus, Aethiopika, 9.15 - the cuirass of square plates of bronze and iron overlapping like scales, the gap in the armour covering the thigh required for mounting the horse, and the rider having to be lifted into the saddle by others because of the weight of his armour.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Mike.

I have just been looking at your book about the Corbridge hoard and page 38 Fig 40 looks to be an upper plate on a segmentata pointing outward to me.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I have just been looking at your book about the Corbridge hoard and page 38 Fig 40 looks to be an upper plate on a segmentata pointing outward to me.
All explained in the text, Brian. It's a 'cut'n'shut'.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mike.

I have to agree for you are so right it is only when one leaves those little drawings alone and reads a bit more it all becomes so clear.
I wonder if this is where most others have fallen into the same trap with the small drawings in the figs that are shaded black, one sees the whole segmentata the black area then look at the originals and say oh they point outwards but not so.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amadee Forestier\'s The Roman Soldier Muzzaguchi 4 1,711 12-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Muzzaguchi