Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitis and Phalerae Question
Two quick questions:

1. Do we know the reasons that would permit a centurion to wear phalerae? Were they a symbol of the rank, were they awarded for a particular deed, or were they part of spoils that a centurion would have acquired?

2. Do we know anything about the length of the vitis? I know it could be soaked in brine for additional sting, but was it finished in any way, or was it simply a raw vine stick?

Thanks!
Quote:Do we know the reasons that would permit a centurion to wear phalerae? Were they a symbol of the rank, were they awarded for a particular deed, or were they part of spoils that a centurion would have acquired?

The reason to wear phalerae (and other rewards) is that you (or your warband) have won them, mostly for being a good soldier or a brave act. Although there is a tendency to connect phalerae with the centurionate, and smaller set with standard bearers, we've also sources for regular soldiers which were awarded the honour to wear them.

The Armilla often seen in a set of phalerae seems to have originated from war booty (torques, etc), but were later included in the official reward system, it seems.

Quote:2. Do we know anything about the length of the vitis? I know it could be soaked in brine for additional sting, but was it finished in any way, or was it simply a raw vine stick?

I don't think so. There are some stele showing them, from which a relative length could be determined, but this is always open to artistic licence.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Do we know the reasons that would permit a centurion to wear phalerae? Were they a symbol of the rank, were they awarded for a particular deed, or were they part of spoils that a centurion would have acquired?
In addition to Jurjen's point, this one should fill in some background on dona of various sorts - who got what, and for what, and when (it's all online too!):

Maxwell: The Military Decorations of the Roman Army
Nathan Ross
Where we see the situation of centurians wearing multiple phalerae, we have to consider if the centurian is wearing them on behalf of his unit for an overall deed of valour.

There is the very well known set known as the Lauersfort where there are ten pieces in all, with a name of the centurian on one piece and of course the silver gilt Lauersfort dish that also carries the same name.
This is maybe where we can think of these phalerae being a communal award and the dish being the centurians personal award.

The Vitis I think may simply have been just a normal piece of Vine of about walking stick size enough to beat a soldier but nothing more.
Brian Stobbs
Wouldn't that be quite illogical if you consider the high amount of transfers from unit to unit by centurions?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
I don't think so for the phalerae may well have been passed on at leader change, however the indevidual award would remain with the centurian.
Brian Stobbs
This is all tremendously helpful! Thanks to everyone! Nathan, I am especially grateful for the Maxwell link.
The word vitis implies a vine-stick. While there are many kinds of vines, grapevines make a good choice. The length ought to follow what the function was. Basically, if it hangs down to your mid calf, it ought to be about the right length to give a needy soldier a snap across the shoulders. We have a couple of them, one around 1.5" and the other about .75" (37mm and 19mm)...the one for mortal sins, the other for venial. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Nos. 7, 9 & 10 in this link give a good idea of the length of the vitis:

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,94/
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thanks, M. Demetrius and Renatus. Pic 7 was very helpful.
The Vitis was specifically a LAUREL vine, the reasoning to the soldiers being laurel leaves represented victory, and failure would be punished with the same wood. All kind of strength for victory and similar connotations can be derived from this.
Thanks, Rusty. I don't have laurel growing here, except Mountain Laurel, which is not the same thing. I have lots of wild grapes, though.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The Vitis was specifically a LAUREL vine, the reasoning to the soldiers being laurel leaves represented victory, and failure would be punished with the same wood. All kind of strength for victory and similar connotations can be derived from this.
Is there authority for this interpretation?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:The Vitis was specifically a LAUREL vine, the reasoning to the soldiers being laurel leaves represented victory, and failure would be punished with the same wood. All kind of strength for victory and similar connotations can be derived from this.
Rusty, do you have a source for this?
For normally the term "vitis" means exactly "wine-vine", like in J. Morrison´s "where´s the wine, the new wine - it´s dying on the vine": the plant that grows grapes. Also the Roman agricultural authors always say "vitis" when they talk about vineyards. As far as I understand the term "vine" in english has the following meanings:"climbing plant" and "Wine-plant". Whereas the further does not contain laurel (biol. "laurus nobilis", family: "lauraceae"), since it is not a vine, but a tree, the latter has also the latin biological term "vitis" and the family name "viticeae".

Short: The latin term "vitis" does not include the meaning of "climbing plant", and Laurel is a tree, not a "climbing plant". Where did you find a reference to laurel in the sources, since this seems highly improbable, and as thus must actually rather be a modern conclusion, which is only possible (if at all) to be made in the English language?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Could not the term also mean a stick that a vine has grown around and distorted the growth of the stick?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Vitis and Phalerae Question M. Demetrius 0 754 01-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius