Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for info. on helmets
Hey guys, first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I'm not really well read on Roman history/equipment so I've come here to consult an 'expert' ;-)

During a conversation I had with an avid Roman reenactor, he told me that the Romans never used any sort of chin strap or tie in order to keep the helmet in place/cheek guards down and would constantly get their helmets pulled off in battle. (Gallic helmet)
I was a bit unsure about what he was saying, but he's been reenacting for years so what do I know?

Just looking for someone to enlighten me on this or provide some evidence that he was wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Many Roman helmets have been found with small rings attacked to the cheekplates and neckguards so a thong could be passed through to tie. Here is an example:

http://www.romancoins.info/weisenau-Guttmann-2008-3.jpg

You can see a set of rings, one on each cheekplate, that were originally used for the ties. I hope this helps your quest to prove that re-enactor wrong Wink

P.S. I lay no claims to being an expert by replying to this thread. I am just a kid with some passion.
Regards, Jason
Quote:he told me that the Romans never used any sort of chin strap or tie in order to keep the helmet in place/cheek guards down and would constantly get their helmets pulled off in battle
I'd like to see his evidence. Are you sure he wasn't winding you up?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Don't we have evidence of the chin strap also by this depiction on Trajan's column? Most reenactors I know say that their helmets are being hung on the legionarie's neck by the chinstrap only looped in the back ring. Through experimental archeology this practice seems practical to have done when your helmet is not needed and you don't wish to wear it. I know Trajan's Column can't be the basis for everything (including the depictions of unusual helmets) but I think that this could provide evidence to the use of the chin strap.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salvatore

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some helmets-some info Arahne 3 1,731 07-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius