Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your shield size?
I recently got a scutum and wanted to know how it sized up to other reenactors shields. Just for fun, post what type of shield you have and the dimensions. Pictures welcome

I have an Imperial-style shield 37.5" tall by 27.5" wide (following the curve) for you guys in metric 95.3cm x 69.9cm. A bit on the smaller side as the shields of this type range from about 37-42" tall and 24-33" wide
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
This seems a potentially interesting topic so I encourage people to post their info, and pictures if any Big Grin
Samuel J.
I have spoken in the past with a few re-enactors who like myself consider that the modern ideas about the scutum size is open to a re-think.
When we look at many actual pictures of these things from Roman times they just don't look to be as big as those we find re-enactors have today.
In fact I don't see anything wrong with 37 inches ( 94/95cm ) being the length of a scutum which in reality is a lot more easy to use and handle.
Brian Stobbs
What is your scutum size? Confusedhock: :wink: I'm really glad you spelt that correctly! :lol:
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
lol, yes we don't want an " r" in there do we Wink

I support Brain's remark, as in reliefs ( inaccurate though) the shields are rather small, covering under half the entire body. I think modern reconstructions are a tat too long, and some are ok on width, but I've seen some rather wide ones. Some even square :/

Sam
Samuel J.
Yeah...maybe I should change the title name lol

-Matt
Come on! No one is willing to share?

-Matt
Our curved rectangular scuta are 35" x 41".
[attachment=2602]First4.jpg[/attachment]

This is, of course, before the bosses were attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Not to big, not to small and light and strong enough to protect me well. :wink:
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae