Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did emperors look like?
I have searched the forum to be sure the following link is not yet published and I didn't found, but perhaps I mistake.
Anyhow, here an interesting althouogh speculative reconstruction of appearances of some roman emperors
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswi...%20Geranio

p.s.
how is possible link a word within the message to a web site?
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Don't know about the technicalities but I think the reconstructions are groovy!! Big Grin Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Just had a whizz round some of the other bits of the website. It's an excellent resource!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Amazing! Some of them are just colourised busts, of course, but a couple - Augustus and Seneca - are truly uncanny! Cleopatra looks interesting, although her costume seems to owe much (and leave little) to the imagination :wink:

I wish somebody would give this treatment to some of the more formidable later emperors - a Maximinus Thrax, or a Galerius, would look quite eye-opening...

Quote:how is possible link a word within the message to a web site?
If you click the 'link' icon in the toolbar above your message editing box, you'll see two open bars. Paste the url for the link into the left one, and write the word(s) into the right. The word will appear as a link in the completed message.
Nathan Ross
Very cool. Thanks!
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:If you click the 'link' icon in the toolbar above your message editing box, you'll see two open bars. Paste the url for the link into the left one, and write the word(s) into the right. The word will appear as a link in the completed message.

Thanks for that too!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:If you click the 'link' icon in the toolbar above your message editing box, you'll see two open bars. Paste the url for the link into the left one, and write the word(s) into the right. The word will appear as a link in the completed message.

just an attempt, then I delete this reply [url=http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=What%20Did%20The%20Julio%20Claudians%20Really%20Look%20Like%20%20Reconstructions-%20Joe%20Geranio]attempt
Marco

Understood, thank you!
Marco

Those are very believable, and yes Cleopatra reminds me of a few women
Who fit the bill, to be honest!
Tiberius looks the part!
Thanks for the link Marco!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Forum ancient coins is an excellent web site. I must admit I've never seen that link before! Thanks for sharing. I've written a several Numiswiki articles for them, don't know how I missed it!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Interesting, don't fully understand the need for the North European colouring in some of them (and I've seen much better scholarly reconstructions of some of the faces) Kleopatra was surprising though, a very Aegean face. It's hard to associate it with her reputation.
Jass
Quote:don't fully understand the need for the North European colouring in some of them
Augustus is described as having 'subflavum' ('blondish'?) hair, but 'his complexion was between dark and fair' (Suetonius, Augustus, 79) - so he probably shouldn't be quite as pale and golden as portrayed here. Nero, in fact, is reported (by Suetonius again) as having 'subflavo capillo' too, rather than the dark brown in the reconstruction. I can't find a source for Caligula's colouring, except that he was prematurely balding and very touchy about it... he does seem a bit too Germanic-looking here.

Quote:Kleopatra was surprising though, a very Aegean face. It's hard to associate it with her reputation.
If you mean her 'reputation' from the movies, then it is very different! But she was a Ptolemy, and so supposedly 'pure' Macedonian (or at least would have appeared that way). It's a shame the depiction didn't try for the distinctive braided hairstyle though.
Nathan Ross
Well, Octavian was a skinny sickly runt of a "boy" as Antony would call him. Always falling sick at the wrong time. I would imagine he looked very pale and sickly. I think it's probably more realistic than the coins and busts of him looking manly and muscular.

Antony
Quote:
Lyceum post=304028 Wrote:don't fully understand the need for the North European colouring in some of them
Augustus is described as having 'subflavum' ('blondish'?) hair, but 'his complexion was between dark and fair' (Suetonius, Augustus, 79) - so he probably shouldn't be quite as pale and golden as portrayed here. Nero, in fact, is reported (by Suetonius again) as having 'subflavo capillo' too, rather than the dark brown in the reconstruction. I can't find a source for Caligula's colouring, except that he was prematurely balding and very touchy about it... he does seem a bit too Germanic-looking here.

Quote:Kleopatra was surprising though, a very Aegean face. It's hard to associate it with her reputation.
If you mean her 'reputation' from the movies, then it is very different! But she was a Ptolemy, and so supposedly 'pure' Macedonian (or at least would have appeared that way). It's a shame the depiction didn't try for the distinctive braided hairstyle though.

One has to be careful of what one assigns to various colours and concepts in a foreign language. A good example might be Xanthos in Greek which certainly did NOT mean the blond we're taught to translate it as in school, especially since I believe Phyrros/Xanthos etc can be used for eyes and other improbable things.

Likewise an old survey detailing the differences between what Britons and French people considered to be blond/light etc. A good example might be that we consider blond...well...blond whereas for some Greeks it was consider lefkos (i.e closer to white)

You need to interpret it in a Mediterranean context. Always. In. Context.Despite the odd German movements of the past century...

Also maybe I'm prejudiced but there's something about Augustus and Tiberius (esp him!) that I just can not trust. :lol:
Jass
It really is a shame that the Roman's were so big on cremation, otherwise (assuming Alric didn't dump the bodies anyways when he sacked Rome), how interesting would it be to get some DNA samples and find how more about how these people actually looked. Kind of disappointed that Julius Caesar didn't make the cut on the "reconstructions"
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Well here's good old Julius one month before he was done in:

[attachment=2565]normal_Caesar0.jpg[/attachment]

Personally I'd love to see what Antony looked like. His coins make him look exactly how he is described.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Antony