Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Netherlands museums
He guys,
on the next march I will be in The Netherland for some days, I know over there several roman muesums are available, but I'm not sure what is possible to see. I know there are in Leiden, Nijmegen, and then, not far in Germany, Haltern Am See.
Is there anybody who has informations? I would like to know what are the best in that area concerning roman military stuff.
Thanks Big Grin
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Hi,

well, the most important collections in the Netherlands are in the Rijksmuseum voor oudheden (Leiden) and museum het valkhof (Nijmegen). Another museum worth a visit is the Allard Pierson museum in Amsterdam.

Over the border by Nijmegen you can visit Haltern, but Xanten is shorter to Nijmegen, and has a wonderful newly built museum. Other nice museums in the German border area are Cologne and even a bit further away Bonn.
ALA I BATAVORUM
oh, well, thank you Jvrjenvis. Have all museums you told roman military artefacts? Somewhere I read there is also a nice tour available by feet or by bike, perhaps near Nijgmegen but i'm not sure, have you got informations?
Marco

All museum I've listed have interesting military items. If your English is okay, and I've some spare time, it would be nice to meet in Nijmegen for a visit to the Valkhof. I can also show you the sites of the different encampements nearby.

I know there are some tours in Nijmegen area along roman 'spots' as well as a tour along the Limes. Have to look it all up, though. You can always ask the local tourist office.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I would jump at Jurjens offer if I was you Marcos, he will prbably know a lot more than an official tour guide....(I could be wrong though :wink: )
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In Woerden there is a very nice but small museum (Stadsmuseum Woerden) which contains finds from Roman fort of Laurium.
Best regards,
Oleg Tiniaev
Quote:Is there anybody who has informations?
I'd suggest you make an appointment with Jurjen. And perhaps this list is useful.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thank you very much everybody :-D actually a fair bunch of friends! This is one of the best thing in RAT, everybody is willing to help each other, sadly not so in the life.

Jurjen, of course I'm honoured if you can help me, my english is not indeed superstar but enough. According forum's rules, I guess our talk must be now switched on PM, so I'm going to write to you there about our meeting.

Jona, your list is very interesting, although sadly some link is not working.
Marco