Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aesculapius\' symbol and the military hospital
Hi

I have read that some stone military hospitals had signs with the Aesclupius' snake on them. Some sort of sign like the red cross in modern military hospitals.

[attachment=2553]snake1.jpg[/attachment]

Are there any pics on this which can confirm this?

Is there any evidence that wooden and marching camps had this sign too?

Richard Gabriel also had an interesting theory stating that medical personnel (like the capsarius) wore armbands with this symbol on it. Does anybody know more about this pls?

tnx!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
I wonder if Moses' "serpent on the pole" has any connection to this?
Numbers 21:8
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I have read that some stone military hospitals had signs with the Aesclupius' snake on them. Some sort of sign like the red cross in modern military hospitals.
Offhand, I can't think of any evidence for this.

Of course, as a medical zone, the legionary hospital was sacred to Aesculapius, and those working there would have sought his protection.

There is a rather nice statue base from the legionary fortress at Novae (Svishtov, Bulgaria) which reads:

[A]esculapium | ex donis arg(enteum) | p(ondo) V unc(iis) V | C(aius) Mansuanius | Severus leg(atus) Aug(usti) f(aciendum) c(uravit)
"Gaius Mansuanius Severus, legate of Augustus, oversaw the erection of a silver Aesculapius weighing 5 pounds 5 ounces (paid for) out of the offerings"
[attachment=2554]AE1998-1131_Novae.jpg[/attachment]

Quote:Richard Gabriel also had an interesting theory stating that medical personnel (like the capsarius) wore armbands with this symbol on it.
If he has any evidence for this, I'd like to see it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I have read 30+ books and articles on Roman medical history and have not once come across any mention of either. There are depictions of the snake of course, e.g. on sliding lid medical containers, but the only thing I have read about possibly signifying a doctor's house is a building in Pompeii where reportedly a pair of cupping vessels was painted next to the door. Wristbands and rings in the form of a snake I have never read about as being associated with medical personnel.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hospital built by the 10th Legion Found Narukami 20 5,658 11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Military Hospital Expertise At The Wall Forts. romanonick 9 2,916 02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar