Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Herefordshire (UK) Dissertation Help
Hello all,

The past few months I have been collecting data for GIS models for my dissertation. Just finishing off putting in the last dregs sent to me from HER's before my giant 12k word write up begins!

I havn't decided on a full title yet but I am basically looking at early forts in Herefordshire to make "predictions" (i use that word lightly) on where settlements and other forts may be found. There has been very little work undertaken on roman herefordshire and i have lots of interest in my work already from surroundign county HER's!

If anyone has anything interesting or useful i could use i would be greatful and welcome all questions :grin:
Nothing useful I'm afraid, but it sound sinteresting!
I got that impression a few years back when I was through the area so I look forward to seeing the end result! :-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That sounds good. I am always disappointed that the Archwilio site is SO determined to retain the current Welsh borders that Herefordshire is excluded. But then again we don't want to get into feudal "wars" again!

For those of you who haven't seen the Welsh site, it is a fabulous resource for all archaeological periods.

http://www.cofiadurcahcymru.org.uk/arch/index.html
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
At least they have their records online...I had to wait a while and send the same requests several times over to some of the other SMR's! Ive made a boxed area around Herefordshire..this is Herefordshires's SMR

http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/htt/

I find it pretty good, theres a mini page on Roman Herefordshire that pretty much sums up all the work being done!

I got wind of a possible roman site on top of credden hill..anyone heard or know of this? I lost he details of the person who told me.
Quote:I got wind of a possible roman site on top of credden hill..anyone heard or know of this?

There's a huge Iron age hillfort there, which was occupied into the 1st century AD. There have been ongoing student excavations there, not heard anything about a seperate Roman site.

A team I know have been wanting to dig on the MOD land there but, as it's where some of 'them' are based, applications have been refused.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:
Natalia post=303569 Wrote:I got wind of a possible roman site on top of credden hill..anyone heard or know of this?

There's a huge Iron age hillfort there, which was occupied into the 1st century AD. There have been ongoing student excavations there, not heard anything about a seperate Roman site.

A team I know have been wanting to dig on the MOD land there but, as it's where some of 'them' are based, applications have been refused.

Yes I know all about the fort which is why I was suprised when I got wind of roman archaeology. It would make sense as Kenchester is nearby. It was a student friend who told me, i'm sure she sent me some surveying results but my laptop crashed last year and this was some time ago!

and don't get me started on the MOD stuff in Hereford!
Quote:and don't get me started on the MOD stuff in Hereford!

Well, one could look at it as a glorious example of continuous use for military purposes! Not bad if it's been IA or even earlier and we're now in the 21st Century :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Does anyone have any background info on Herefordshire at the time, in terms of landscape or anything?

All I have to go on is this article:
http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/htt/1301.aspx

anything I can use for my opening chapters I'd really appreciate

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dissertation on Reconstruction, free book caiusbeerquitius 7 1,285 02-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius