Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Positive Report on Libyan Archaeological Sites
Not out of the woods by any means but a much better situation than that faced in Iraq

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/...rchaeology
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks Moi!

I think I know where I want to go On my next vacation!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Thanks Moi!

I think I know where I want to go On my next vacation!

Fabulous isn't it?

And we get excited about Wroxeter and the Wall!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yes it is! Tha photo at the top of the link with Janus? Is so well preserved
Apart from it's snozz it's hard to believe it is 100 years old let alone almost 2000!

Well, wroxeter and the wall, a pity they were so strippedbut still
So much potential! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Excellent news.

I've been lucky enough to have made a fantastic journey starting in Thunis and ending in Alexandria - and crossing the whole of Libya - a few years back, when Libya was reasonably quiet. Sabratha, Lepcis Magna, Cyrene and Ptolemais are really worth it, especially since they were not completely overrun with tourists as is the case with the sites in Greece, Italy or Turkey. The Museum in Tripoli and the Bardo in Tunis are also fantastic.

After the looting in Iraq and the much more recent fire at the Institut d'Egypte (less than a month ago, on December 17th 2011) along with the Nour Salafists proposals of destroying/covering the pyramids (according to the Daily Mail, for what it's worth), we were due some good news!
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Excellent news. Can anyone recommend a company to organise a trip to Libya? I hear that there are still a lot of arms about the place and the British Foreign office is still a bit wary. But I would really like to go there in 2012.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
That sounds like quite the journey!
I wish I had the time and resources to do something like that!
Probably need an APC to do it safely these days!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That sounds like quite the journey!
I wish I had the time and resources to do something like that!
Probably need an APC to do it safely these days!

Exactly! that's the problem. The year before I was in discussions with some of my professors to have me sent out to Egypt and then...boom. I think I shall postpone it indefinitely, shame.

I think the loss of whatever was in Iraq is still a massive blow which will be felt for generations of researchers, so it's good that there is a (small speck of) light in the massive hall of darkness.
Jass
Quote:Excellent news. Can anyone recommend a company to organise a trip to Libya? I hear that there are still a lot of arms about the place and the British Foreign office is still a bit wary. But I would really like to go there in 2012.

If the Foreign Office is a bit leary I doubt you'll get a British Company to do it. Possibly a European company may be more interested...but not French either (I assume!!)

You could always volunteer for a UN monitoring team or something!! :wink:
Moi Watson

Got this from a half Libyan, half Egyptian friend of mine.

"I'm so pleased that you wish to visit Libya. I was there in early November and friends are back and forth. Its not fully stable and lots of arms around and shortages in energy still. But I can advise better if I know what you planned? Just Tripoli and sights / ruins around or desert excursions? Libya has amazing deserts and I have a cousin that runs such trips but now may not be best weather (cold) and safety issues too perhaps. Please let me know and I will ask. Do consider Egypt too as tourism / economy can use a boost and deals to be had. Its safer and more "normal" now than Libya."
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Hmmmmm. Egypt seems on the brink of another round from the looks of things, to be honest!
Although collegues are still working out there!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Got this from a half Libyan, half Egyptian friend of mine.

"I'm so pleased that you wish to visit Libya. I was there in early November and friends are back and forth. Its not fully stable and lots of arms around and shortages in energy still. But I can advise better if I know what you planned? Just Tripoli and sights / ruins around or desert excursions? Libya has amazing deserts and I have a cousin that runs such trips but now may not be best weather (cold) and safety issues too perhaps. Please let me know and I will ask. Do consider Egypt too as tourism / economy can use a boost and deals to be had. Its safer and more "normal" now than Libya."

That seems a remarkably upbeat attitude considering the upheaval. But then again, anything that can return the country back to normal has to be good.

But I would seriously consider your personal safety. If you go to Libya against FO advice they may not be too pleased at having to "bail you out" or even worse deal with an incident which has the potential to become a Government embarassment!
Moi Watson

Paul,
I've still got contacts in Misrata, Tripoli and Al Khoums and they're all very positive but they're trying to rebuild their infrastructure (which was always a bit crappy) homes and lives, so I'd let them get on with that for now. Although the sites themselves have survived the war, any trip to the country is going to involve staying in towns on the coast road which saw most of the fighting.

Looks like I may be going back at some stage, so I may get to see the new mosaic museum at Leptis after all.

For anyone who wants to see more pictures of the cities and relics of Tripolitania, there's plenty of pics in my photobucket account.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Cheers Matt.
I hope they get things together soon.
The news was talking about an immenent civil war breaking out there...
pretty negative attitude, as usual.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  libyan hide arminius 3 1,311 01-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Last Post: arminius