Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tombstones
Beach brolly and pinching the horse to give "donkey" rides on the beach :wink: ...and possibly evidence that this is a gelding and therefore not all cavalrymen hared around on stallions all the time.

Looking at the plans of stable blocks, it would certainly make sense for some geldings to be included with the mares; moreso than stallions!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Time for some controversy. Here is a pair of contemporary tombstones of legionary standard bearers from Mainz, one seemingly a copy of the other (but one standard differs from the other in the number of discs). They are controversial as both have the same 'shorts' as Crispus from Wiesbaden, whilst Faustus has the rather crude stylised face (which doesn't show up very well thanks to the angle of the flash but can be seen in the imagebase colour image) drawn on the helmet hovering spookily over his shoulder – this is about the only 'evidence' for that common meme amongst re-enactors whereby cavalry sports helmets and/or masks are thought to have been worn by standard bearers.

[Image: 6792103078_2ea5953003_m.jpg][Image: 6938215383_cb866bf9d2_m.jpg]

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Decloaking and breaking radio silence from book-writing purdah for long enough to point out that, in the small hours of those nights when I am not crafting wordy rubbish, I still continue with the negative scanning. Recent weeks have seen Q. Petilius Secundus, C. Romanius Capito (in some detail, for horse-harness fans), M. Caelius, and an unknown chap from Bonn with a shield frieze to make your boots curl (horizontal handgrips aplenty).

[Image: 6810543736_ba3faf6289_m.jpg][Image: 6818708588_e6b4ae36ed_m.jpg][Image: 6835328296_5218f604b6_m.jpg][Image: 6998903845_f7c95e2d8f_m.jpg]

Enjoy (if that's the right thing to do with tombstones). I am going to shimmer into non-existence again...

Mike Bishop

Quote:Decloaking and breaking radio silence ...
Welcome back. Next time, don't leave so long between shimmerings!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:They are controversial as both have the same 'shorts' as Crispus from Wiesbaden,

Something the "shorts" just reminded me of.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Seeing the title of this section, I have thought to insert photos of 2 figurative tombstones I took on a trip to the Museo Archeologico del Teatro Romano in Verona (Italy). I put the thumbnails and attached the photos with some details. I have also visited the “Museo Lapidario” where the “Sertori brothers” are kept, but since they are very well known, I preferred to not include in this post.

The first one, found generally in the region of Verona, shows no inscription, but could be dated the 1st C BC. The tombstone, wanting of the right side, show a ranking soldier in a quite elaborate armor, with (probably) the cingulum represented in the left of the body and holding in his right hand a heavy corroded staff/ insignia /… (?) with in the center an uncertain disc element (circular concentric).
(Ref. C. Franzoni, Habitus atque Habitudo Militis, 1987, p. 54 )
[attachment=4039]DSCN5282.jpg[/attachment]

The second is the tombstone of T. AELIUS VICTOR, found in S. Maria Antiqua in Verona, probably a soldier of a Vigiles cohorts. No date in the museum caption, but not posterior to the 3rd C BC.
Not so well preserved, but it's visible a figure in sagum and tunic grabbing a possible spear in his right hand and with the left holding a shield stands on the ground.
The inscription: T(itus) Aeliu(us) Vict(or) / [R?]is Mil(itis) Coh(ortis)
(ref. Notizie degli scavi di antichità, Vol. 1893, p. 17; C. Franzoni, Habitus atque Habitudo Militis, 1987, p. 57)
[attachment=4040]DSCN5276.jpg[/attachment]

Hope it can be useful.
Best.

S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Quote:
mcbishop post=309468 Wrote:Decloaking and breaking radio silence ...
Welcome back. Next time, don't leave so long between shimmerings!
Flatterer ;-)

Mike Bishop