Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Spartan Army, Lazenby
Finally, a reprinting will be available soon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1848845...1848845332

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Hmm...I had this on order for over six months then Amazon cancelled the book altogether.

I wouldn't hold your breath...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Seems to be scheduled for January: http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Spartan-Army/p/3117/. If Phil Sidnell is on-line, maybe he can confirm?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Seems to be scheduled for January: http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Spartan-Army/p/3117/. If Phil Sidnell is on-line, maybe he can confirm?

Yep, early 2012 is what I have understood to be the release date, I suppose we shall know soon enough.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:Hmm...I had this on order for over six months then Amazon cancelled the book altogether.

I wouldn't hold your breath...

Moi aussi!!! :evil: Sad :? :wink: :roll:

I've had a few email-apologies from Amazon about this. But it is still there advertised as a forthcoming item. Apparently to be sold as either hardback or paperback versions. We (still) live in hope.

Watch this space I guess ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote: I've had a few email-apologies from Amazon about this. But it is still there advertised as a forthcoming item. Apparently to be sold as either hardback or paperback versions. We (still) live in hope.

Well, I didn't get any apologies. Do you think they are waiting to see how many people pre-order before releasing it??? I WANT one...very cross about it. (Lazenby was my final year University tutor).
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:
Ghostmojo post=302928 Wrote:I've had a few email-apologies from Amazon about this. But it is still there advertised as a forthcoming item. Apparently to be sold as either hardback or paperback versions. We (still) live in hope.

Well, I didn't get any apologies. Do you think they are waiting to see how many people pre-order before releasing it??? I WANT one...very cross about it. (Lazenby was my final year University tutor).

Well, now you have a sincere apology for the delay direct from the commissioning editor responsible for reprinting it. 'Technical difficulties' is all I am prepared to say. If I told you the actual problem you either wouldn't believe me or hurt yourself laughing. The good news is that it will not be too much longer now. It should be in our warehouse by March...or April. I don't know why Amazon are showing a paperback edition as there is no plan for one, but the hardback will still be a bargain at £19.99. It is just a straight reprint of the original but with the hideous text reset and just a handful of very minor corrections the author asked for.

Apologies and regards

Phil Sidnell
Commissioning Editor (Ancient military history)
Pen & Sword Books
That is indeed good news. Means I can order a hardcopy and dont need to use the old water damaged version the Leiden Univ library has anymore...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:... dont need to use the old water damaged version the Leiden Univ library has anymore.
Must be a tradition. The Glasgow University library copy is damaged, too. (Coffee, I think.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I have an old edition I picked up in my first year, it has stains from god knows what on it. I don't want to know. I do not that I purposefully avoid touching that area...
Jass
Quote: Well, now you have a sincere apology for the delay direct from the commissioning editor responsible for reprinting it. 'Technical difficulties' is all I am prepared to say. If I told you the actual problem you either wouldn't believe me or hurt yourself laughing. The good news is that it will not be too much longer now. It should be in our warehouse by March...or April. I don't know why Amazon are showing a paperback edition as there is no plan for one, but the hardback will still be a bargain at £19.99. It is just a straight reprint of the original but with the hideous text reset and just a handful of very minor corrections the author asked for.

Apologies and regards

Phil Sidnell
Commissioning Editor (Ancient military history)
Pen & Sword Books

<happy dance> Thank you for your update. New Year Resolution NOT to buy any books well and truly scuppered Big Grin
Moi Watson

Quote:I have an old edition I picked up in my first year, it has stains from god knows what on it. I don't want to know. I do not that I purposefully avoid touching that area...

Surely someone wouldn't get THAT excited over the Spartans, would they? Tongue :lol:

That is truly wonderful news Phil, thanks for the update! :grin:

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
No new illustrations or anything then? That's a pity. But a better looking cover it would appear, which is something of course. Heck - just to have a legitimate copy* will be great!! :-) :-D Cool

[sub](* I can finally recycle those well-thumbed, dogeared photocopies!!!)[/sub]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:
Lyceum post=306015 Wrote:I have an old edition I picked up in my first year, it has stains from god knows what on it. I don't want to know. I do not that I purposefully avoid touching that area...

Surely someone wouldn't get THAT excited over the Spartans, would they? Tongue :lol:

Not you! Confusedhock: :!: :lol: You're a flaming Thespian!!! Wink

Quote:
Dithyrambus post=306031 Wrote:
Lyceum post=306015 Wrote:I have an old edition I picked up in my first year, it has stains from god knows what on it. I don't want to know. I do not that I purposefully avoid touching that area...

Not you! Confusedhock: :!: :lol: You're a flaming Thespian!!! Wink

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lazenby books Anonymous 1 1,380 06-30-2002, 01:49 PM
Last Post: