Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to find info about this statue
Hello all,

Recently I've been trying to find information about this statue of a general's panoply from Rhodes, which has been posted here on RAT before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alaskapine/1778253674/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothywat/...otostream/

It seems to me that these are two different copies of the same statue. Obviously, I know that the statue is supposed to be from either the 1st-2nd C. BCE, but other than that I can find nothing. Does anyone know if this truly is a representation of a Roman rather than a Greek? Perhaps it is a Roman copy of an earlier Greek work? Or even (gasp) a fake?

Any information or help would be appreciated.
Alexander
Quote:It seems to me that these are two different copies of the same statue.
They are not in the same place, that's for sure. Wink The first image seems to show a 'cleaned-up' statue? Might still be the same one, of course.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:They are not in the same place, that's for sure. The first image seems to show a 'cleaned-up' statue? Might still be the same one, of course.

That's true, Robert. I didn't think of that. I really wish I could read that little placard next to the statue in the second picture! I am really surprised that there isn't more information about this statue out there...it is perhaps one of the only, or the only detailed representation of a Roman general of the late Republic that survives. All other possible representations that I know of are much more worn/subjective in their interpretation, such as the Campidoglio monument depicting armor in dedication to Sulla's victory over Jugurtha in 91 BCE (at least, that is the common interpretation).

Perhaps some would think me an elitist, but I am fascinated by the warlords of the late Republic, and also by the fact that it really is difficult to recreate what they would have looked like with any certainty. Hence Hollywood's constant obsession with crappy leather armor for the great Caesar etc. :roll:

Once again, thanks for any tips or advice.
Alexander
Are there any photos of this panoply taken from different angles? Also, is it supposed to represent a trophy? If so, then this general was defeated. Are there other examples of this sort of panoply in an other than trophy context? It seems very singular. Maybe it stood next to a statue of the general himself dressed in civvies and represented his armor as it would have been displayed in his atrium (that's where I'd display it, anyway.)
Quote:
Alexand96 post=302826 Wrote:It seems to me that these are two different copies of the same statue.
They are not in the same place, that's for sure. Wink The first image seems to show a 'cleaned-up' statue? Might still be the same one, of course.
The second photograph was apparently taken in the Museum of Roman Civilisation in Rome, in which case it will be of a cast of the original in Rhodes.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)