Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How common was death in the arena?
Salvete omnes,

I have recently started research for a university assessment based upon the theme of death, and chose to look into how common death in the arena was among the professional gladiators.

I was wondering if some of you guys could potentially help me out with any material or theories that take this topic into account.

I have read a few articles related upon the topic including:

F. Hanz and K. Grosschmidt, 2006. Head Injuries on Roman Gladiators, Forensic Science International (160).

M.J. Carter, 2007. Gladiatorial Combat: The Rules of Engagement, The Classical Journal, (102) pp. 97-114

and I still have quite a few books/articles to look through:

M. Junkelmann, "Gladiatoren: Das Spiel mit dem Tod", Philip von Zabern, (2008)

M. Carter, 2006. Gladiatorial Combat with ‘Sharp’ Weapons (τοι̑ϛ ὀξέσι σιδήροιϛ), Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik (155), pp. 161-175

M. Carter, 2001. Artemidorus and the ἀρβήλαϛ Gladiator, Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik (134), pp. 109-115

Baker, “The Gladiator: The Secret History of Rome’s Warrior Slaves” Ebury Press, London, (2000)

S. Wisdom, “Gladiators: 100 BC – 200 AD”, Osprey Publishing Ltd., Oxford, (2001)

M. Grant, “Gladiators”, Penguin (2000)

T. Wiedmann, “Emperors and Gladiators”, Routledge, (1995)

R. Auget, “Cruelty and Civilisation: The Roman Games”, Routledge, (1994)

Are there any materials that would help that I have missed out here?

Also, any input on the topic itself would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Lorenzo Perring Mattiassi

LEGIO XIIII G.M.V (RMRS), COHORS I BATAVORVM MILLIARIA CIVIVM ROMANORVM PIA FIDELIS
It was never more than one time per combatant. Cool
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The popular book by V.A.Goroncharovskyi Arena and Death (in Russian: В.А.Горончаровский, Арена и кровь. Римские гладиаторы между жизнью и смертью, Санкт-Петербург "Петербургское Востоковедение" 2009 (Серия "Militaria Antiqua", XIII))contains an information with reference to G. Ville, La gladiature en occident des origins a la mort de Domitien, Rom 1981 that gladiators of 1 BC had a 9:1 chances to live, the gladiators who lost - 4:1. 200 years later the gladiators had 4:1 chances to live, for those who lost - 1:1. The encreasing number of deaths on arena was probably caused by reduction of combats (V.A.Goroncharovskyi, P. 71-72).
On my website you could find a quite current literature list:
http://www.ludus-nemesis.eu/pdf/LuNem_Literatur_en.pdf

This includes also the books by Dario Battaglia and Eric Theyssier who oppose in some points more or less Marcus Junkelmann.

I personally don't like the books by Michael Grant and Alan Baker since I think they are too lurid.

As Artem already pointed out the death rates varied through the century. There could have been fights "sine missione" which means to the death of one of the combatants. But this would have been very costly for the editor (organizer of the games) because for every dead gladiator he had to pay the lanista (owner/manager of a gladiator school) an extra fee. I explained the kinds of endings and also this "financial problem" on my website:

http://www.ludus-nemesis.eu/en/origines_4_en.html
http://www.ludus-nemesis.eu/en/origines_5_en.html
Quote:...that gladiators of 1 BC had a 9:1 chances to live, the gladiators who lost - 4:1. 200 years later the gladiators had 4:1 chances to live, for those who lost - 1:1. The encreasing number of deaths on arena was probably caused by reduction of combats ...

This is interesting. If a fee had to be paid for each death, and the number of combats decreased over time, I would assume that there would be less a chance of death in the arena in the later centuries. Each gladiator would be more valuable, and each death would be more expensive, presumably, and the organisers would want to keep them alive to fight again.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
-Bump- Perhaps a reason could be that as Gladiator bouts became less common, the mob consequently expected even bloodier spectacles to make up for the infrequency of games. It would be like today, if football matches were held on a more infrequent basis. wouldn't you want the matches to be more exciting if they were held,say, only once a year? That's just my imput. I normally don't bump old topics, but I found this one to be interesting.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
*GASP!!*
You mean it wasn't like Spartacus: Blood and Sand??
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:-Bump- Perhaps a reason could be that as Gladiator bouts became less common, the mob consequently expected even bloodier spectacles to make up for the infrequency of games. It would be like today, if football matches were held on a more infrequent basis. wouldn't you want the matches to be more exciting if they were held,say, only once a year? That's just my imput. I normally don't bump old topics, but I found this one to be interesting.

What is the evidence for reduction of combats? That sounds rather interesting: is there any reason why they would be reduced, as festival times went up - is it connected with the increasing reluctance of the elite to engage in euergestism in the days of the crisis?

Incidentally, I wonder whether the need for blood could not be sated by the public executions, either of combats between noxii (according to Seneca the light amusement during lunchtime) or the ingenious ways of putting people to death discussed by Katherine Coleman in her article on "Fatal Charades" (not a reading for for the faint-hearted). The gladiators at least had the training to defend themselves and win the admiration of the crow.

Quote:*GASP!!* You mean it wasn't like Spartacus: Blood and Sand??

And there I thought they used archive material from Domitian's widely televised opening games of the Colosseum for that series! Tongue
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
[quote="M. Caecilius" post=319041]
What is the evidence for reduction of combats? That sounds rather interesting: is there any reason why they would be reduced, as festival times went up - is it connected with the increasing reluctance of the elite to engage in euergestism in the days of the crisis?

Unfortunately, I cannot quote sources off of the top of my head, but I believe I read in one of the ancient sources that during the political and financial crisis of the 3rd century, the number of lavish spectacles declined sharply as emperors were using treasury money to sustain the army and secure their hold on the throne.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

A further interesting read for you might be :

Murderous Games
An expanded version of this article with references appears in K. Hopkins, Death and renewal, Sociological Studies in Roman History , Volume 2 (Cambridge University Press, May 1983)
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hmmm. I'll have to check that out. 8)
Tyler