Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIB Research - Assistance Request
Quote:but the main problem is, the fragments bear so little resemblance to the formulae generally used on tombstones.
What would we expect to see on a tombstone?

A funerary formula like D(is) M(anibus), which is often separated from the main inscription. Next, a name: say, VIC[TORIA]. She might be Victor's daughter (it's not uncommon for daughters to take a name derived from their father's name). So we'd expect something like: VIC[TORIA FILIA VICT]|ORIS. (I've put in the line break so that you can see how this might work in our inscription.)

It is probably too much to hope that our putative Victoria was a midwife (line 4: OB[STETRIX !)

Alternatively, the sequence ORISCA reminds me of the formula HON]ORIS CA[USA ("out of respect"), but that formula usually occurs towards the end of a tombstone. I have definitely never seen it on the first two lines of an inscription.

Assuming that line 4 is the beginning of a word, there are many formulas beginning OB ("on account of"/"for the purpose of"), such as OB MEMORIAM ("as a memorial"), and it could even be OB[IIT --("he/she died ..."). Equally, it could be OR--, or OP--.

As you can see, there is really too little to go on. Sad
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Alternatively, the sequence ORISCA reminds me of the formula HON]ORIS CA[USA ("out of respect"), but that formula usually occurs towards the end of a tombstone. I have definitely never seen it on the first two lines of an inscription.
But can we be sure that we are indeed looking at the very top of the inscription? Perhaps this is where the stone was cut offf (for re-usee?), and we are looking at lines 6-9? Ik like the (Hon)ORIS CA(usa) a lot!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)