Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIB Research - Assistance Request
Good afternoon

May I please ask if any of you good people of RAT could supply me with information on one particular RIB reference please? (RIB = Roman Inscriptions of Britain in case you did not know).

I am trying to find more information about RIB 100 which is a very small inscription found in the area of Cricklade in Wiltshire, UK, and believed to be a tombstone.

The only info I have is this: ... VIC ... ORISCA ... CLADI ... O ...

Do we know why it's thought to be a tombstone? Do we know the context/period it was found in? Any info or a transcript from RIB would be most welcome.

Thanking you in advance.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Darned, I have a book on this subject somewhere.
Give me a few days and I may have an answer. Possibly! Maybe! :| :-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks GJC - sadly it isn't in the volumes on inscriptions I have Confusedad: ...typical!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I am trying to find more information about RIB 100 which is a very small inscription found in the area of Cricklade in Wiltshire, UK, and believed to be a tombstone.
Quote:100. Part of a tombstone of limestone, 14 x 16 in., of which the left-hand margin is original, while the top margin has been dressed for secondary use. Found in 1952 in the footings of the medieval town wall at Cricklade. Now in Cricklade Museum. Drawn by R.P.W[align=right], 1953.
The original report in JRS 43 (1953) p. 128 states that it was "found in excavating the footings of the medieval town wall". No translation or interpretation was offered.
[attachment=2440]RIB100.jpg[/attachment]
I would guess that it's presumed to be a tombstone because it doesn't fit any other category of inscription.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thank you SO much and such a swift response too Big Grin
Moi Watson

Quote:Thanks GJC - sadly it isn't in the volumes on inscriptions I have Confusedad: ...typical!

Probably the same as what I have then! At least Duncan knew it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Just out of curiosity, but why CLADI and not CIADI?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Just out of curiosity, but why CLADI and not CIADI?
Must just be a mistake. The letters seem to be CIADI--, and the last line is OB-- or OP-- or OR--. I think you'd need to find another fragment before it would make any sense.
Quote:Just out of curiosity, but why CLADI and not CIADI?

Thereby hangs some of the interest! :wink:
Moi Watson

Quote:The only info I have is this: ... VIC ... ORISCA ... CLADI ... O ...
I agree with the first two, but the third seems more like CIAD - I would not dare to guess whether that 5th letther should be I or L. The last word, OR or even OP?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It's an interesting snipit isn't it?

Although my Latin dictionary is not a huge volume I am struggling to find words (other than potential names/place names) which begin CIAD- and wonder if an assumption was made that it was L and not I as the second letter as the stem of the word is quite unusual.

As usual I am happy to be put right, and of course the CIAD- could be a continuation of the inscription from the previous line which is lost.

I'm also struggling to find any local Roman names in the area which contain CIAD- and ORISCA although I have only just begun the search.

It is supposed to be a passing reference into some research I am doing on villas in the area but it's taken over somewhat!
Moi Watson

Quote:I'm also struggling to find any local Roman names in the area which contain CIAD- and ORISCA although I have only just begun the search.
Must they be names? Or words for that matter? I'm not expert on Latin inscriptions, but I know that the words, abbreviations and all, van be fairly bunched together. So perhaps it's '-CI' 'AD-' and 'ORIS''CA-', or '-ORIS' 'CA-'. Not very helpful (apart from 'oris' being a recognisable word), but then the fragment is so small that it won't be of any use anyway. Confusedad:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
No, no - its all helpful. Just one of those conundrums I like getting side tracked by! After all, if it were easy someone FAR cleverer than me would have "solved" it by now... :wink:
Moi Watson

The main problem is that, although Wright was satisfied that he had the lefthand edge and probably the top (there's no sign of a preceding line -- the spacing suggests that we would be able to see the bottom of any preceding letters -- and any D.M. could've been in a separate area at the top), there's no way of knowing how wide the inscription originally was. (12 letters wide? maybe 14?) Sad
cladi probabaly is a speculative interpretation (as I also can not see an L)? as in the dative form of clades, defeat in war? in that context vic- could be derived from vincere (perfect tense). -oris could be a genitive of a word ending in -or or -tor, which leaves many possibilities.

would this be the case, it could have been an inscription commemorating a victory.

interpretation remainse highly speculative, I think. but the main problem is, the fragments bear so little resemblance to the formulae generally used on tombstones.