Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I Need Goldsworthy?
A short question for those familiar with the book:<br>
<br>
I'm thinking of picking up the German translation of Goldsworthy's 'Complete Roman Legions', but the description leaves me unsure whether I'll have any great use for it. I already have on my bookshelves:<br>
<br>
Junkelmann, Legionen des Augustus and Reiter Roms I-III<br>
<br>
Connolly, Roman Fort and the Tiberius Claudius Maximus books<br>
<br>
Southern/Dixon, The Late Roman Army<br>
<br>
All Osprey books on Rome except for Warrior: Imperial Roman Legionary<br>
<br>
Bishop/Coulston, Roman Military Equipment<br>
<br>
Peterson, Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs<br>
<br>
Does the Goldworthy book add anything in terms of information, insight, illustration or bibliography that the above books lack? Or should I save the 25 bucks for a beltbuckle.<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Volker<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Goldsworthy has pretty pictures and an interesting, well written overview of Roman military history. Do you learn much new if you've got that overview down already: no.<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Just as Jasper said, it's a very good Overall reference, well written and easy to read, combining most of the already available/known information with some added theories and details here and there (as far as I know). So it's a very good "quick reference", and if you needed more info you could look to the other books/materials (as you had mentioned) and a way to show non-Romans the dozens of other books/materials in one book.<br>
<br>
Also, good illustrations, graphics, tables/charts and some good color photos.<br>
<br>
I like it. <p></p><i></i>
Your library is a lot more extensive than mine. Nevertheless, another thumbs up from me for Goldsworthy's "The Complete Roman Army" (I assume that's the same thing).<br>
<br>
Rich K. <p></p><i></i>