Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There will be Roman loot! For the Iceni!
Only four months until North America's most fun event Fort Lafe ad43.org this year Thursday 22 March - Sunday 25 March AND the Romans are supposed to lose to the revolting Iceni lead by Queen Boudica. 1st time reenactors and new to Lafe Romans and Celtis will be most welcome! And the Iceni will probably get some Roman LOOT!
[attachment=2172]DCP_5929_2011-11-25.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Not all the Iceni are revolting...some of them are fairly personable. Why, I was just chatting with one on FB yesterday afternoon. Wink
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Not all the Iceni are revolting...some of them are fairly personable.
Reminds me of an anecdote about Sir Mortimer Wheeler. Apparently he persisted in referring to 'Boadicea' rather than 'Boudica' - "I could never imagine sitting down to dinner with somebody called Boudica," he (allegedly) said. Which suggests he often shared his meals with famous figures of antiquity... pass the sprouts, Caratacus... Confusedmile:
Nathan Ross
Salve,

I am really looking forward to my first time there. It looks like an excellent opportunity this year to be a "first-timer" at Roman era living history. It appears a car pool from here is currently organizing so the drive down from Chicago won't be too arduous.

Kudos to all those working to make the next two year's scenario a success! Well done!

Very best regards,

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
The finest Food shop on the frontier awaits Legionary customers at the Castra Lafe Vicus . That is if the angry Iceni out to revenge the rough handling of Queen Boudica don't burn it down first! Attend the event 22 -25 March at Lafe Ark ad43.org and be there to find out!

Come on over and have a snack and a conversation.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Outraged by the Roman offenses against Queen Boodica and her daughters even the Iceni woman prepare to do battle in revenge.
[attachment=2378]Iceniwoman.jpg[/attachment]
ad43.org 22-25 March 2011 Lafe Ark USA Attend and watch the Romans try and keep their body parts safe.

HAH, that'll be fun to watch or take part in :lol: Is it fact that German and British women fought in the battles, or did they just attend?

Sam
Samuel J.
Quote:Is it fact that German and British women fought in the battles, or did they just attend?
They didn't fight, but they did attend...
Nathan Ross
...interesting thanks Confusedmile:
Samuel J.
I was under the impression the Britons fought, male and female!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's been suggested a few times, but there's no real evidence that I know of. Women did lead Britons in war - Boudica and Cartimandua, probably - and Dio has Boudica holding a spear while making a speech. But actually fighting is a bit different - Roman historians would surely have recorded something as kinkily barbaric as that! (Dio, I think, mentions dead Sarmatian women in armour at one point).

The clicher's in the speech Paulinus gives to his troops before the battle in 61: "They must treat with contempt the noise and empty menaces of the barbarians: in the ranks opposite, more women than soldiers meet the eye" (Annals 14.36) - this can be interpreted two ways (some people take it as evidence for fighting women), but it seems clear that Paulinus is distinguishing the warriors (ie men) from women (the wives of the warriors, who have accompanied them to the battlefield). If the women were also warriors the remark wouldn't make any sense!

But at least it proves that the women were there, and perhaps weren't such passive spectators as Paulinus might have hoped...
Nathan Ross
Quote:Outraged by the Roman offenses against Queen Boodica and her daughters even the Iceni woman prepare to do battle in revenge.
Like I said on Facebook, the Queeen needs a good comb, and please, blue 'Pictish' paint is sooooo Braveheart Hollywood: FREEEDDDOOMMMMM! :twisted:

But adding to that: give her a large spear or a sword to brandish, plus add some more Royal Details, and you could have a great queen to lead your British hordes to squah those 'Roman occupyers'.
If you want her face painted, aren't there some sources about? perhaps black paint would be more appropriate to make her look more fearsome.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Just widening the topic to include German tribes, from Tactitus' Germnania.

"18. The matrimonial bond is, nevertheless, strict and severe among them; nor is there anything in their manners more commendable than this.

Almost singly among the barbarians, they content themselves with one wife; a very few of them excepted, who, not through incontinence, but because their alliance is solicited on account of their rank, [ practise polygamy.

The wife does not bring a dowry to her husband, but receives one from him. The parents and relations assemble, and pass their approbation on the presents -- presents not adapted to please a female taste, or decorate the bride; but oxen, a caparisoned steed, a shield, spear, and sword.

By virtue of these, the wife is espoused; and she in her turn makes a present of some arms to her husband. This they consider as the firmest bond of union; these, the sacred mysteries, the conjugal deities.

That the woman may not think herself excused from exertions of fortitude, or exempt from the casualties of war, she is admonished by the very ceremonial of her marriage, that she comes to her husband as a partner in toils and dangers; to suffer and to dare equally with him, in peace and in war: this is indicated by the yoked oxen, the harnessed steed, the offered arms.

Thus she is to live; thus to die. She receives what she is to return inviolate and honored to her children; what her daughters-in-law are to receive, and again transmit to her grandchildren."

This doesn't sound like a stay at home wife, but more someone who in need will pick up a spear and defend the homestead and her family!!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:please, blue 'Pictish' paint is sooooo Braveheart Hollywood... perhaps black paint would be more appropriate to make her look more fearsome.
Blue's the only colour anybody seems to mention! Actually the women above look more Maori than Braveheart - quite a good look, although who knows what the 'reality' might have been...

Quote:Just widening the topic to include German tribes
Yes - the note in Dio I mentioned above was about Germans, not Sarmatians, now I come to check:

"Many of the Germans, too, from across the Rhine, advanced as far Italy and inflicted many injuries upon the Romans... Among the corpses of the barbarians there were found even women's bodies in armour." (Dio, 72.3)
Nathan Ross