Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kopis From Dioskouri
I am proud to show some of the "under construction" photos of my new Dioskouri kopis and scabbard. The kopis is an exact copy (tracing) of the British National Museum kopis and features black horn handle scales attached to a very sharp damascus steel blade. All the bolsters and scabbard fittings are finely chased silicon bronze. Although unfinished, I wanted to show some of the fine work Dioskouri is producing, with a decidedly Classical Greek flavor to it. It wasn't cheap by any means, but the quality comparison and short wait delivery time make it a true bargain when compared to ANYTHING else on today's market. I am told there will be more pictures and WAV files on the Dioskouri website in the near future, showing even more detail.

BTW: I failed to stress the fact that this is a REAL sword... not window dressing. You could easily lop off limbs with this wicked little blade and it will show no appreciable signs of wear. Dioskouri is planning to upload WAV files of this blade slicing a pig carcass in half in the near future. For more information go to:

www.dioskouri.com

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Beautiful kopis scabbard indeed, Bill! Can't wait to see the it finished...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Lovely work, I like the wave pattern on the scabbard. Big Grin

If it was from a tracing of the original do you know if the wave pattern is to the same proportions as the original?
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
That is very nice indeed! I have not always been a fan of the Kopis, but they have grown on me over the uears!
Very nice work on the scabbard!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Actually, with regard to copying the BNM kopis, I was only referring to the kopis shape itself. The scabbard decoration is my own unique design and the bronze work was constructed, designed and chased by "Dioskouri". Big Grin
Bill
Nice design, interesting to see the wave pattern like that.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I look forward to seeing this blade in action!
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Just as a follow-up, I would like to post some pictures of the finished kopis. The detailing is absolutely amazing and perfectly reflects a true Greek "flavor" at every turn. I am told there is a youtube video featuring this kopis (albeit not the infamous "pig" demonstration... yet) based from the dioskouri website. I hope these pictures come across as well as they should - the detail pictures are in reality very small (for example, the octopus pommel image is small enough to be covered by the average thumb), even though they seem large in the pictures.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
It looks great!
But some of the style-elements you used, like the dolphin, octopus and wave patterns, seem to me more minoan or kykladic than classical greek. Still it looks great!

Patrick D
Patrick D.
Quote:But some of the style-elements you used, like the dolphin, octopus and wave patterns, seem to me more minoan or kykladic than classical greek.
Not neccesary, as far as I know, the marines hoplites symbols (on their hoplons) were those animals
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP
[Image: firmaacabada.png]
Very nice
Not neccesary, as far as I know, the marines hoplites symbols (on their hoplons) were those animals

That may be but I was referring to the style the symbols are kept in. For example the dolphin looks lot like those which were found on minoan wall-paintings.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
very beautifully thought up and constructed Confusedmile: all works well together. Looks really good Smile
Samuel J.
Quote:It looks great!
But some of the style-elements you used, like the dolphin, octopus and wave patterns, seem to me more minoan or kykladic than classical greek. Still it looks great!

Patrick D

indeed Big Grin
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP
[Image: firmaacabada.png]
More videos from Dioskouri - these show the high calibre work that is produced which rivals that of actual artifacts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Apollokrates?feature=watch
Bill

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Sneak Peek at the Dioskouri Corinthian katsika 95 19,031 02-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  dioskouri KrimzonKnight 1 1,983 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: katsika