Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie (civilian chick) - help?
Yes, I think a "Show Ladies Impression" thread would be a very good idea.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Okay then. I'm sure a mod can do the appropriate things required if the topic needs splitting? Or we could just start a new one?

I have to say, I really struggled to find photos of me as a woman...I spend too much time dressing as a man! The dresses only come out after dark at events! :roll: :lol:
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
And make sure you get a copy of "La femme romaine : Au début de l'Empire" by Danielle Chastenet and François Gilbert, which is a must-have on this subject, even if you don't read French!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Not sure where abouts in the world you are Jennifer but you could check out this lot

http://www.vicus.org.uk/index.htm

as they have a good proportion of ladies and our own Cunnicula is a textiles type (although she'll probably never forgive me for saying so!!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I think this thread would simply require moving and re-tagging in the appropriate section?

One of Amy with her spread at Sledmere this year.

[attachment=2346]DSC01369.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Vindex wrote: Yes, I think a "Show Ladies Impression" thread would be a very good idea.
The Staff is considering this question, and will get back with an answer soon.

What do other members think? Good idea? Bad idea?
Would you ladies participate?
Personally, I think it would be a good addition, since there's really not much of a place for ladies to display their crafts and clothing in the existing forum, at least not one that would highlight the work that goes into a lady's impression.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I would indeed agree a very good idea.
Brian Stobbs
Of course it would be a good idea!
The ladies are a whole world of their own, which deserves it's own thread!
Make sure there are wardrobes of space..... Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ladies and children!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote: Ladies and children!

Yes, maybe as a civilian section?
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
Some ladies might not be civilians only, although Gauls and Britons would wear more or less the same clothing in whichever role they might be found, I think.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, but even the ladies who reenact soldiers, are ladies when they re-enact ladies....
who mostly were civilians....Celtic Briton woman fighters obviously are a bit different....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thank you everyone! This is *awesome*

I've shown your site to my fella, had he's already thinking that the whole metal-casting of bits and bobs looks fascinating. And Matt Lukes has him wanting to forge his own Segmentata now. Smile

Ammianus - SO PRETTY!
For fabrics, am I okay with off-the-rack (or rather "out of the box") linen and wool from a place like Wm. Booth Draper? Or is the weave coarser for Roman stuff and I should look for something else?

I've got the "world of..." book on order, thank you for the recommendations!

Finally, are the "crossbow" fibulae I see all over the place okay for Republican era civilian, or they later period or military? They seem awful... chunky.

Gaius - tempting. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/embed/1LhT7rCC6O8
Chunky Crossbows are later period Imperial! Confusedmile:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Naturally should we start this treat, the woman make a lot of work of their wardrobe and can be inspiring to "newbie" who want to join the "ranks".
Ladies I personally hope it works for you.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX