Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sulla and Chaeronea
I have googled already and the decriptions of this battle that I have found leave much to be desired. I have heard that Sulla built some kind of barricade that stoped the Pontine chariots. I can't remember how this idea got in my head; probably just one of those factoids that gets stuck there from time to time. I did find a breif description of the battle by Arrian online (I do not think it was the complete description)and he never mentions these barricades. Does anyone know of a good description of this battle? Has anyone ever tried to reconstruct it, as been done many times with say, Cannae?
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
It seems that Sulla tried to have trenches built on his flanks as defense against the Pontic cavalry, not the chariotry. The latter proved to be a big joke. Maybe the crews were ill-trained but I don't think the Romans ever had the slightest trouble countering chariots.

Here's the direct link to Plutarch's passage about the battle from his life of Sulla.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:I have heard that Sulla built some kind of barricade that stoped the Pontine chariots.
Maybe you are thinking of the Battle of Orchomenus, 86 BC. Frontinus (Strat. 2.3.17) mentions the stratagem of the trenches and stakes. Also: Appian (Mithr. 49 -- scroll down).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Yes I have the two battles mixed up. Thanks to you guys for the links. I will keep reading and eventually I will get it right.
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sulla S SEVERUS 8 2,490 02-06-2007, 04:28 AM
Last Post: sulla felix
  Sulla\'s Legions? Adam Carr 2 2,035 09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Last Post: drsrob