Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek helmet etching & carving
Does anyone know if the ancient Greeks etched or carved their helmets artistically? I know the Romans and Vikings did elaborate embellishments on theirs but I have never seen it on Corinthian style helmets. Only Alexander's lion helmet. If you can display any examples it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
Hey Joe!

There is an older thread "New Apulo-Corinthian helmet" in the greek reenactment section. That shows a recreated helmet and its ancient counterpart. Latter one shows at the edges signs of carving.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
This is Mycenaean.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4854...38fc_o.jpg
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Those examples seem very rudimentary for such an artistic culture. Does anyone else have possibly finer examples?
Quote:Those examples seem very rudimentary for such an artistic culture. Does anyone else have possibly finer examples?

Sure, there's plenty.

The Chalcidian helmet.

Thracian helmet, and here

Pyrrhus

Melos helmet

Ascalon / Sidon helmet

~Theo
Jaime
These are two helmets I have sourced via the internet. There is an excellent example of a Creta? helmet that dates from the 7th centure BCE (if I recall correctly) that has beautifull incisions of a horse on either side. There is a difference between incising and embossing and repouse (sp.?) btw. A quick google will reward as will a searckh on flickr
as there are many more out there of actual examples as well as depictions on pottery

and I know the one dubbed goat embossing is not strictly a Corinthian- It is just too good not to have included it! Big Grin

Regards
richard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Those are nice
Quote:Those examples seem very rudimentary for such an artistic culture. Does anyone else have possibly finer examples?

Sure, there's plenty.

The Chalcidian helmet.

Thracian helmet, and here

Pyrrhus

Melos helmet

Ascalon / Sidon helmet

~Theo
Jaime
I would be careful in regard of what is cast and what is embossed.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Agreed.

I think Joe meant to say embossed since he mentioned "Alexander's lion helmet" (which is based only on carved relief, IIRC).

~Theo
Jaime
It can be anything that's decorative on the helmet. I own a helmet and wanted to personalize it. Any pictures you can post would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Joe