Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather Duodecim Scripta board?
Hoping someone can help because I've hit a brick wall. I'm trying to find an example of a leather game board. Not a wooden board with leather facing, but an actual leather game board.

I've seen references to a leather Duodecim Scriptorum board to be found in the Museum of Wales but I've been told that it's actually ceramic.

I've seen references to a leather board found with 15 ebony and 15 ivory counters from a 6th century context which, on further investigation, seems to refer to the game set found in the royal burial at Qustul, where the pieces were found in a leather bag but the board itself was wooden.

So, is it a myth or is there any actual evidence that 12 Lines (or Tabula/Iaceta etc) was played on a handy, portable leather board?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
As far as I know no portable Roman boards for board games have been found, no matter what the game is. They were scratched into things, e.g. tables at a tavern where the duodecim scripta board was also the menue of the tavern. Or it was scratched into the steps leading to a temple or public building.
Lots of portable boards have been found, but they're all wooden.
Some of these have leather elements to them but there are also numerous references to Duodecim Scripta boards being made from leather. Just wondering if anyone can think of any examples.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]