Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with German
My German is very much British schoolboy- we did O level (that dates me more than any radio carbon dating) using "Sprich Mal Deutsch", which we generally translated as "Speak Bad German". This has allowed me to order Spiegelei for Fruhstuck, but not much else.

And strangely, it didn't include useful words such as sword pommel, tang, shield boss or saddle horn. This makes reading Miks and soon the Romische Schilde book by Nabbefeld a very slow process.

Could someone help by either pointing me towards a German dictionary that would help me, or by posting a glossary (for example, taking words used by Miks in a typical entry and giving the Englisg equivalent)?

Vielen Dank!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
just post the words you need here or write me an email...
or try LEO
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
You could try LEO online dictionary. It is far more technical than most you will find online.

http://dict.leo.org/

Cheers,
Martijn
I had the same problem while translating Böhme from technical German into readable English. Not being an archaeologist did not help ether... Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
As far as technical terms are concerned ... this is my (very) "quick'n'dirty"-tip:

http://limes-oesterreich.at/thesaurus/index.php

http://www.grabungswoerterbuch.de/
Top left : English-German dictionary ( where the Union Jack is)
Vice versa : Just below
This website is aptly named : Excavation Dictionary.

Hope this helps

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Thanks Siggi! But one word I once came across (from Böhme, can't fathom why I even remembered it, LOL) I did not find a translation of: "astralagiert", or I think that's how it was spelled. Something to do with decoration, a never-ending source of difficult Böhme-German words!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thanks all - incredibly helpful, as ever.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
You can also use EUdict

Its an online dictionary and very good.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi Robert!

Quote:I did not find a translation of: "astralagiert", or I think that's how it was spelled.

I doubt that word actually exists in German. It sounds like a home-brew adjective. "astral" means "Relating to or resembling the stars; starly". The ~agiert ending indicates that something was made or altered in a certain way or direction. So in connection with decoration I would guess that a given shape was changed or adapted to look (more) like "resembling the stars; starly"

HTH
Hi Robert!

You put a little typo: it is "astragaliert", i.e. means an ornamentic "bead and reel" structure (mainly in architecture), H.W. Böhme uses the word "Astragalröhrchen" for the little tubes that are often seen at late roman belt fittings. "Astragaliert" meaning "having these tubes at the end of a fitting".

I'm sure it comes from astragalos, i.e. either the well known knucklebones to play dice with, or acc. to my greek dictionary "vertebrae", so it's just "knucklebone-rod" or "spine-shaped"

Greetings,

Stefan
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)
Thanks guys! If I ever find the time to finish that translation, I know where to look.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:You put a little typo: it is "astragaliert",

Now I know what it seemed to remind me of but couldn't really remember :-)
I'm growing old ... thanks Stefan!
I think the English translation of this would be Astragal or Astragalen that comes from the Greek Asrogalus a leguminous-plant of the genus astrogalus eg the milk-vetch, it does have the connection with Architecture also as a boarder decoration such as the boarder decoration on the rosettes of the Gallic D helmet that I made.

It is simply a continuation of a little ball and tube decoration, that may be straight in architecture but can also curve as in rosettes.
Brian Stobbs
My philological studies have satisfied me that a gifted person ought to learn English (barring spelling and pronouncing) in thirty hours, French in thirty days, and German in thirty years. It seems manifest, then, that the latter tongue ought to be trimmed down and repaired. If it is to remain as it is, it ought to be gently and reverently set aside among the dead languages, for only the dead have time to learn it.
(Mark Twain)
--- Marcus F. ---