Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can we improve RAT in 2012
Quote:Most posters are kind, helpful and friendly in their desire to share information and assist those who perhaps are not quite so knowledgable. We all start off along this road at some point, and we all occupy different places along it. In that respect we are all grateful at some point for some useful tips from those who have gleaned more from their lengthy studies and detailed expert knowledge.

But, as Robert V knows only too well (from me recently), some of us fall prey to snide attacks or pompously superior commentary from others here who seem to thrive upon that tactic. I have made the mistake of publicly lambasting them for that approach in the past. It has been suggested to me that a better retort is to report the transgressor - and that is what I will do in future.
I'm not fond of that approach, for the same reason I wouldn't in real life; if you find someone offensive you should either say it or just stop talking to them. I haven't noticed a problem, but I firmly believe that moderation should be transparent. For example, if a thread is locked, the moderator who does it should post with their name and justification; if a post is deleted then there should be an explanation why unless it was blatant spam. I certainly think the forum would be open to a rousing discussion of archaeological theory ... some people might not be interested, but not everyone is interested in the best way to construct a particular lorical segmanta typology's hinges.

I haven't started many new topics lately because I am busy with school, and my "Median dress" project is in hiatus. On the other hand, linguam Latinam melior lego, ich habe ein bischer Deutscher gelernt, καί βάρβαρος ούχ ειμι.

Do we have any data on number of posts, number of new topics, etc.? Many forums do seem to be slowing down in the past few years, and I don't know why, other than that there are new distractions on the internet (social networks, YouTube, more and better games and webcomics).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
...Like everything in life, there are pros and cons...My name is Samuel, but I'd hesitate to post my middle and last name. I'd tell people who I pick privately, but posting for all to see, probably would be a breach of privacy, ( IN THE WRONG HANDS) and as we know, not everyone who can ACCESS RAT , is perfect, or we wouldn't be talking about this now. I am also under 18, so if rules ARE applied, this goes for me too?
I think it's a nice thing, to know someone's name, but nor necessarily their surname , and I wouldn't be hurt if someone nice wouldn't tell me. If someone hurtful or offensive was causing a problem, I wouldn't care for their name either, knowing their an AS* hole, simply let the Moderators deal with them. Only an equally aggressive As* hole would want to pursue and sue? that person.

Maybe it's an idea to keep track of banned people's IP addresses?

Those are my two cents.

( Samuel ) -Sam
Samuel J.
Quote: I think it's a nice thing, to know someone's name, but nor necessarily their surname
No need Sam. While we'd prefer a surname, the first name is OK.
Quote:Only an equally aggressive As* hole would want to pursue and sue? that person.
We don't sue anyone. If anyone consistantly breaks the rules, they're kicked off the forum.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Haha, yes my friend, I was hoping not, but I meant one individual to another, bypassing forum rules. Sorry I didn't mean to sound harsh with my literature um.. :oops: I used a ... * :roll: I agree, a good kicking is necessary! ;-)

anyways...what would we like done people?!??!

Sam
Samuel J.
How about splitting the marketplace into several sections:

Vendors (already at the top)

For Sale
Wanted to Buy
Product Reviews

Also a review of the vendor list to add a few new ones might be a good idea.
You could request nominations from the Rat membership.

Criteria for adding new (Commercial manufacturers like Deepeeka) to the vendor list
could be changed to: Products have been sold by a RAT retailer for three or more years and are currently available from two or more retailers. Review of complaints/reviews by
RAT staff shows mostly good reviews few complaints and good complaint resolution for at least two years.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:Paul did a good and rather brave thing in asking for feedback. I remember as a young manager asking staff for feedback and then spent an hour telling everybody how their concerns were not justified because they did not understand how the management had thought of everything and it was all OK if they only understood. Like most things RAT could do with improvement and a freshen up. Outside the current postings regarding the moderator/member argument and a couple of Indian companies RAT is generally very quiet.

I suspect this is because:

1) Most questions have been discussed in previous years, and often a quick search can yield some useful information.
2) The rise of other forums with fresh new approaches and members.
3) I understand Facebook generates a lot of conversation.
4) Conversations on RAT being held via the community side of the site by personal message.
5) And because of arguments and personal attacks on the main forum.

One of my biggest problems is with nutters who join RAT to post up some negative comment about the group I am in, the saddles we use etc etc and then are never heard of again. People who are in no group, organise no events, or don’t ride, or who don’t make equipment and don’t actually do anything. There is little point in posting something positive if somebody with a false name or ID is all too willing to attack it.

I have read recently on RAT that some perceive the moderators as a clique talking privately behind the scenes, and this is not a positive image. A group of friendly helpful hard working volunteers who have helped me and others out is a far better message to get across. When a moderator posts a little too quickly and hastily it is to their credit when they back off after “moderation” from the members. On the whole the moderators do a good job.

Having posed these issues I fear I have no answers. I suspect forums rely on their membership and the vast majority of RATers are polite, positive and understand how to hold a conversation. I fear a small minority get superior and offensive when they perceive their position is being threatened. Some just want the last word, and occasionally somebody joins just to cause a problem.

I suspect I advocate peace love and understanding for 2012. I’ll be crucified by Easter!

I have even had people come to our "Classical" Roman re-enactments and criticize us for what we know we're talking about.

I think you're right overall. I'm on under the Same name on TWC for those that know me, and we're rife with conversation about Roman and Late Roman topics there. I'm rather amazed how comparatively quiet this forum is, considering I've heard so much about it.

And on TWC I've had similar problems with new members as a Local Moderator, they're usually just annoying and leave once they realize it doesn't work. I've only been on here a few weeks and have noticed the Moderators (*cough* Robert Vermaat *cough*) are very active in the forums.
Quote:
Fidelis Sam post=301205 Wrote:I think it's a nice thing, to know someone's name, but nor necessarily their surname
No need Sam. While we'd prefer a surname, the first name is OK.
Quote:Only an equally aggressive As* hole would want to pursue and sue? that person.
We don't sue anyone. If anyone consistantly breaks the rules, they're kicked off the forum.

Agreed about the first name thing, a surname is often an invitation for hackers, knowing a few myself...

I keep my settings so if you're not a friend you can't see anything super-special, so that way you can't get my B-Day, Location, social security number, etc.
No, don't put your personal things on FB or any other network like it. DO send me your credit card number plus the ID on the back by Private Message. I'll keep it safe for you, honest. Cool :roll:

By the way, your birthday is just one day and quite a few years after mine. February is still a cold month, go figger. :x
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:No, don't put your personal things on FB or any other network like it. DO send me your credit card number plus the ID on the back by Private Message. I'll keep it safe for you, honest. Cool :roll:

By the way, your birthday is just one day and quite a few years after mine. February is still a cold month, go figger. :x

no of course not. I'm not even on facebook lol.

My B-Day isn't in february though...

More on topic though, maybe more forum interactive sections, like the one forum about games. There could be a stickied thread for Online challenges (like in Rome or Medival Total war, and other games similar to that).

Maybe there should be a thread regarding more intricate, precise conversation. Like about the credibility of Vegetius' unit counts and stuff, or concerning ROman Troop Formations (like in the Tacita... Is that spelled right I cant remember)

We could also have a thread for each re-enactment group, under a new forum in the re-enacting section, so members of each group can talk and discuss with one another outside of the events.
We could also have a thread for each re-enactment group, under a new forum in the re-enacting section, so members of each group can talk and discuss with one another outside of the events.[/quote]

I like that idea.
I suspect most groups have their own forums, aimed directly at them, linked to their own website. The Comitatus forum while much much smaller than RAT, is often more active.
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
It is worth a thought to create a fourth supporting leg, after Greek, Roman and barbarian warfare, namely a Byzantine/East Roman subforum. Could attract new users.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:I suspect most groups have their own forums, aimed directly at them, linked to their own website.
Indeed. And how would we forbid other members from looking in/contributing? Every group already posts news and events, anything they'd need to discuss within the group is not suitable for a general forum.

Quote:It is worth a thought to create a fourth supporting leg, after Greek, Roman and barbarian warfare, namely a Byzantine/East Roman subforum. Could attract new users.
This is already been discussed a number of times over the past years, especially as a wish of the 'Classical Greeks' on RAT who want to see the later stuff removed from 'their' part of the forum. However, the number of posters in the 'Byzantine' section has always been so low that it never warranted a separate section.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Eleatic Guest post=301367 Wrote:It is worth a thought to create a fourth supporting leg, after Greek, Roman and barbarian warfare, namely a Byzantine/East Roman subforum. Could attract new users.
This is already been discussed a number of times over the past years, especially as a wish of the 'Classical Greeks' on RAT who want to see the later stuff removed from 'their' part of the forum. However, the number of posters in the 'Byzantine' section has always been so low that it never warranted a separate section.
This is a chicken-and-egg situation. There is no 'Byzantine' section because there are few posters but are there few posters because there is no 'Byzantine' section? The present 'Greek' section says that it is for discussion of Greek and Hellenistic armies and their contemporary enemies, which is not exactly welcoming to the Byzantinists.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:
John Conyard post=301361 Wrote:I suspect most groups have their own forums, aimed directly at them, linked to their own website.
Indeed. And how would we forbid other members from looking in/contributing? Every group already posts news and events, anything they'd need to discuss within the group is not suitable for a general forum.

Quote:It is worth a thought to create a fourth supporting leg, after Greek, Roman and barbarian warfare, namely a Byzantine/East Roman subforum. Could attract new users.

No I mean they could still post, but It's just reccomended for the members of one group only. So one group could talk but other groups coulds still chime in and all share Ideas.

EDIT: Now that I think about it that negates the point of it completely.