Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discovery Channel: Becoming Alexander
Last night I saw a Discovery channel program about the making of Stone's "Alexander." Specifically, it was about Dale Dye and others coaching Colin Farrel in how to look and act like Alexander. So far, it looks very promising. The weapons and armor look period correct - lots of Thracian, Boeotian, Attic and a few Chalcidian helmets, and no Corinthians. Machairas much in evidence. Farrel practiced with a Deepeeka horsehead falcata, a specifically Spanish variant, but I couldn't tell if that was what he was using in the actual movie scenes. Best of all, in a scene at the London costuming and armoring facility, you get a glimpse of designers working from Angus McBride illos from Osprey books. I think I saw some pics from Osprey's "The Thracians."<br>
Looks like they're really trying to get this one right, at least from the visual angle. <p></p><i></i>
It looks like a welcome change indeed. During the work up to the Stone movie there seems to be a slew of Alexander the Great documentaries----thus far this is the only one that looks authenticity minded. Movie theather, here I come <p></p><i></i>
... and surely You won't walk allone.<br>
<br>
BTW, does anybody on this forum have knowledge about a 'Making of ...' - broadcast in GERMAN TV referring to Stone's Alexander?<br>
Thanks in advance<br>
<br>
Uwe<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
FWIW, there's a thread (or actually two) about the movie in the Off-Topic section.<br>
I liked the film and enjoyed its authenticity. The critics hate it.<br>
[thread hijack on]<br>
BTW, I love your books, Mr. Roberts. I have read them all (the first one only in German), just finished The Tribune's Curse and already have the next one lying on my desk.<br>
[hijack off] <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=niedel>Niedel</A> at: 12/1/04 1:10 am<br></i>
Aka
Christoph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History Channel.....Alexander and Romans coming soon Arthes 1 1,049 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Optio equitum
  History Channel: Alexander Q Rutilius 19 3,021 11-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Discovery Channel Programs Anonymous 4 1,247 04-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Vincula